Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Burns, Philp & Co. office division panel

Date: 1890-1940
Dimensions:
Overall: 1940 x 3150 x 40 mm
Medium: Wood, metal, lead framed stained glass
Credit Line: ANMM Collection
Object Name: Wall
Object No: 00031345

User Terms

    Description
    A Burns, Philp & Company division panel consisting of panelled timber, leadlight glass and the company's Scotch thistle logo. The timber is Queensland Walnut and has been stained. Burns, Philp was a household name in Australian shipping during the 1920s.
    SignificanceThis dividing panel is an interesting and rare record of the Australian shipping line Burns, Philp & Co, a household name in Australia during the 20th century.
    HistoryBurns, Philp & Co Ltd became incorporated in 1883. Their early operations included running small stores on Queensland's Gympie goldfields and shipping goods between Brisbane and Sydney. The company expanded and began shipping between Australia and the South East Pacific running numerous plantations and warehouses overseas. In the interwar period of the 20th century Burns, Philp & Co became an established name in Australia; their ships clearly recognisable by their Scotch Thistle flag.

    During World War II a number of their ships were commandeered by the Merchant Navy and used as troop and supply transports. The company’s specialised knowledge of the Pacific became very useful in the allied war effort and both the ships and their personnel were taken into war service.

    During the 1970s Burns, Philp & Co made major operational changes and became involved in the production and distribution of food and beverage. Burns, Philp & Co operated on the Australian Stock Exchange until December 2006 when it was divided and sold.

    Additional Titles

    Primary title: Burns Philp & Company office wall division panel

    Web title: Burns, Philp & Co. office division panel

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.