Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Circular Quay, Sydney Harbour

Date: c 1892
Medium: Emulsion on glass
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from Mr and Mrs Glassford
Classification:Photographs
Object Name: Glass plate negative
Object No: ANMS1092[254]
Place Manufactured:Circular Quay

User Terms

    Description
    In this image, the three-masted ship TORRIDON can be seen moored alongside east Circular Quay. A twin-funnel, four-masted passenger ship with auxiliary sails is also visible. The newly built Manly ferry wharf can be seen at right, across from the intersection of Phillip Street and Circular Quay, Sydney. The vessel seen on the fart left of the image may be the Orient Line's twin funnel, four-masted cargo ship RMS AUSTRAL.
    SignificanceThe Hall photographic collection provides an important pictorial record of recreational boating in Sydney Harbour from the 1890s to the 1930s. The collection documents the lively sailing scene in Sydney during this period and features images of vessels ranging from large racing and cruising yachts to the great array of skiffs and the emerging technologies of motorboats. Images of the many spectators and crowds who supported and followed the sailing races are also included in this visual record.
    HistoryThe three-masted iron ship TORRIDON was built in 1885 by A. Hall & Co., of Aberdeen for Alex Nicol & Co. to work the trade routes between London and Australia. Along with sister ship YALLEROI, TORRIDON was one of the last of the Nicol's clipper ships.

    TORRIDON was sold to Italian owners in 1906 and was sunk by a German submarine in August 1916.
    Additional Titles

    Assigned title: Circular Quay ferry wharf

    Web title: Circular Quay, Sydney Harbour

    Related People

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.