Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Circular Quay, Sydney Harbour

Date: c 1891
Medium: Emulsion on glass
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from Mr and Mrs Glassford
Classification:Photographs
Object Name: Glass plate negative
Object No: ANMS1092[267]
Related Place:Circular Quay,

User Terms

    Description
    In this image construction of the new Manly and Watsons Bay ferry wharves (which were completed in 1891) is visible on the right of the image. The German liner KAISER WILHELM II can be seen moored at East Circular Quay, possibly during its visit of March 1891.
    SignificanceThe Hall photographic collection provides an important pictorial record of recreational boating in Sydney Harbour from the 1890s to the 1930s. The collection documents the lively sailing scene in Sydney during this period and features images of vessels ranging from large racing and cruising yachts to the great array of skiffs and the emerging technologies of motorboats. The developing cityscape of Sydney and its harbour are also documented in this visual record.
    HistoryThe donor Roderick Winchcombe Glassford (1920-1995) commenced work with Macdonald Hamilton & Co, agents for P&O in the 1930s. During World War Two he served in the Coast Artillery at South Head, acheiving the rank of Captain. He returned to work with Macdonald Hamilton and became a Passenger Superintendent with P&O.

    Deeply interested in maritime history, Glassford owned a yacht and was a prolific collector of objects and books. With the decline in passenger ships from the 1970s, he managed the Art Gallery society and was involved in early efforts to form the first Sydney Maritime Museum.
    Related People

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.