Engraving titled 'Gezicht van het Oost-Indisch-Huys,op de Binnen Plaats...' (Front of the East Indies House) by P. Fouquet, Jr, Amsterdam,1780. Taken from the Atlas of Amsterdam, this image shows the facade of the Dutch East India Company Building in Amsterdam.
SignificanceThe joining of the major Dutch trading companies to form the VOC was the beginning of a great company. Amsterdam became the Dutch centre for this company and all business was carried out from the building shown in this engraving.
HistoryIn the 17th century the Dutch United East India Company (VOC ) was the world's most powerful trading company owing to its well-equipped ships, navigational expertise and a ruthless confidence in its right to trade, using force if
necessary. A naval and military power in its own right, by 1701 the VOC had 160 ships and 15,000 regular troops. The Company's influence extended from the Cape of Good Hope to Japan. It traded in spices, textiles, silk, metals, tea, coffee, tobacco, exotic paintings, porcelain and furniture.
In 1619 the VOC conquered Jakarta, renamed it Batavia and made it their centre. Other fortified bases were set up in an attempt to monopolise trade.Their post at the Cape of Good Hope secured the safety of the Holland-East Indies route. Disappearing profits,increased military costs and English and French competition eventually bankrupted the VOC in 1799.
Primary title: East Indies House in Amsterdam
Primary title: Vue de la maison des Indres Orientales, a Amsterdam