Search the Collection
Advanced Search
Image Not Available

Black and white negative strip with four images of flooded Brisbane River

Date: c 1893
Dimensions:
Overall: 182 x 61 mm
Image: 41 x 55 mm
Medium: 120 format film negative
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from Arlene Hope
Classification:Photographs
Object Name: Negative
Object No: 00048205

User Terms

    Description
    Black and white 120 format film negative strip with four images.

    The top image is of the Brisbane River with Customs House visible on the far right edge. Image was likely taken from around New Farm.

    The second image is of Pettigrew's Mill, Brisbane. In the bottom left hand corner is written Pettigrew's Mill and in the bottom right corner is written PC Poulsen.

    The third image is of South Brisbane Cemetery and Fairfield. It is taken from up above the flooded Brisbane River and shows submerged trees and buildings on the opposite bank of the river. Written in the bottom left corner is 'SB Cemetery' and bottom right 'PC Poulsen'.

    The bottom image is of a large number of men working standing between wooden frames on the building site of the Queensland Treasury Building. It depicts stage two of the Elizabeth Street extension of the construction which was completed in 1893. In the background is a building with the words 'Gray's Boot' and 'bookmaker' written on it. Gray's Boot Warehouse opened in George Street, Brisbane, in 1844.

    SignificanceThe images present an excellent documentation of the swollen Brisbane River, streetscapes of Brisbane in flood, and damage to the waterfront and shipping.
    HistoryFrom a collection of photographic negatives of original glass plate images from the 1890s-1930s. Many are signed P C Poulsen. Some later aerial shots may also be from the Poulsen studio. Many of the images show Brisbane City under water from the swollen Brisbane River. They include;

    The sunken TOONDA RAJAH near Pettigrew, sailing boats on Brisbane River, stone quarrying, Edward street Brisbane with floodwaters, 'S B Cemetery and Fairfield', Pettigrew's Mill, 'S B from North Quay' (South Bank?), Queen Street, 'From North Quay', 'Creek St'.

    Several ships are reportedly 'Kanak' ships including the RODERICK DHU.

    Poul C Poulson was a well known photographic studio in firstly, Adelaide, then Newcastle and the in Queensland between 1894 and 1898.

    1883 - 23 King William Street, Adelaide, American Studio, late Allen & Gore
    1884-1885 Hunter Street, Newcastle, New South Wales
    1885-1900 7 Queen Street, Brisbane
    1894-1898 Mary Street, Gympie, Queensland
    1889 Gladstone Road, Woolloongabba, Queensland
    1893 George Street, Brisbane
    1898 Kent Street, Maryborough, Queensland
    1898 Adelaide Street, Maryborough, Queensland

    Poul Poulsen founded Poulson studios. He was born in Denmark in 1857 and arrived in Sydney in 1876. In 1882, he moved to Queensland and was later joined by his sisters and brothers from Denmark. He opened his own studio at no 7 Queen Street in 1885 and later opened branches, run by his brothers in other Queensland towns. Poulsen vigorously advertised constant improvements and modernisation in his studio and in the service he provided. His sons and grandson followed in his footsteps.

    Additional Titles

    Collection title: Poul C Poulsen Collection

    Web title: Black and white negative strip with four images of flooded Brisbane River

    Assigned title: Black and white negative strip with four images of flooded Brisbane River

    Related People
    Photographer: John Cameron
    Photographer: Poul C Poulsen

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.