Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Dinner plate - Huddart Parker Line

Date: 1912 - 1961
Dimensions:
Overall: 20 x 175 mm, 306 g
Medium: Ceramic
Credit Line: ANMM Collection
Object Name: Plate
Object No: 00049058

User Terms

    Description
    A ceramic plate from the Huddart Parker line decorated with the shipping line's emblem.
    SignificanceThe collection contains an eclectic and wide range of maritime objects such as octants, fog horns and ship's wheels, and many items of ephemera with significant provenance.

    The Huddert Parker company was a significant presence in Australian shipping.
    HistoryHerbert Edward (Bert) Young assembled an eclectic collection of maritime objects, books, papers, images and ephemera, and established Young's Maritime Museum from his home in Forestville, a suburb of Sydney, in the late 1960s. This private museum was short-lived and in 1972, Young presented his collection to the Department of Shipping and Transport to hold for incorporation into a future national maritime museum. The collection was transferred to the Australian National Maritime Museum in 1987.

    The Huddart Parker business was formed in Geelong in the 1850s based on the trade produced by the Victorian gold rush and became a major Australian shipping company by the 1890s. The discovery of gold in Western Australia at that time sparked a boom in shipping and several companies competed for service in the trade. Huddart Parker rapidly expanded in the 20th century and became publicly listed in 1911 with the name Huddart Parker Ltd and operated until taken over by Bitumen and Oil Refineries Australia Ltd in 1961.





    Additional Titles

    Collection title: Herbert Young Collection

    Assigned title: Dinner plate - Huddart Parker Line

    Web title: Plate from the Huddart Parker line

    Related People

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.