Search the Collection
Advanced Search

View of Whampoa anchorage

Date: c 1845
Dimensions:
Framed dimensions: 532 x 702 x 36 mm
Medium: Oil on canvas
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Purchased with USA Bicentennial Gift funds
Classification:Art
Object Name: Painting
Object No: 00050471
Related Place:Guangdong,

User Terms

    Description
    A framed painting depicting a view of Whampoa anchorage by the Chinese artist, Youqua.

    Whampoa, now known as the Huangpu district, was an industrial waterfront district in the Guangdong province of China near Canton. It became an international trading port following the signing of the Treaty of Nanjing in 1842. This painting was produced by Yonqua who is regarded as one of the finest painters of Chinese port views, landscapes, watercolours and pith (rice) papers and was active from 1840 to 1870.
    Ships from European trading companies, during the East India trade in the 17th, 18th and 19th century, used the anchorage at Whampoa for their trade in Canton and traders rented storage for ships supplies and repair shops on Whampoa island.

    SignificanceVery few China Trade paintings are signed by the artist. This painting is significant as it was painted by Youqua. Youqua is regarded as one of the finest painters of Chinese port views, landscapes, watercolours and pith (rice) papers and was active from 1840 to 1870.
    HistoryWhampoa, or Huangpu district, is an industrial waterfront district in the Guangdong province of China near Canton. It became an international trading port following the signing of the Treaty of Nanjing in 1842. The Treaty of Nanjing, which ended hostilities, opened Whampoa as one of five Chinese treaty ports at the end of the War. Previously, British merchants had only been allowed to trade at Guangzhou (Canton), however this Treaty allowed them access to trade at 5 new ports.

    Very few China Trade paintings are signed by the artist. This painting is significant as it was painted by Youqua. Youqua is regarded as one of the finest painters of Chinese port views, landscapes, watercolours and pith (rice) papers and was active from 1840 to 1870. Youqua originally started in Canton (modern Guangzhou) at number 34 Old Street and later opened a second studio in Hong Kong at number 107 Queen's Road. By the 1850's Youqua was regarded as the best studio at that time and was referred to as the "celebrated Chinese painter, Youqua" (see: Crossman: The China Trade. 1991, page 202 Carl Crossman also refers to Youqua as, "...unquestionably the finest painter of this period on a grand scale" (The Decorative Arts of The China Trade, p. 138).

    Related People
    Maker: Youqua

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.