Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Negative of a lighthouse

Date: 1936
Dimensions:
Overall: 70 x 112 mm
Medium: Negative
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from Dianne Charge
Classification:Photographs
Object Name: Negative
Object No: 00049253

User Terms

    Description
    Photo album with photographs and ephemera from a 1936 passenger cruise to Fiji on the P&O line STRATHNAVER
    SignificanceThe album is a rare example of a complete, intact, scrapbook album style passenger's record of a pacific cruise voyage in the 1930s. It is also rare as it includes original personal photographs as well as cruise line ephemera.

    The album's photographs, postcards, ship menus and other ephemera documents the early twentieth century enthusiasm for cruises in exotic locations that provided many Australians with experiences of Indigenous cultures.
    HistoryThis cardboard photo album was issued for passengers on P&O cruises to record their voyage in a scrapbook style. It has 'With the compliments of the Chairman and Managing Directors of the P.&O. S. N. Co.' printed on the front cover.

    The album contains menus, postcards, a book mark, other cruise ephemera and personal photographs, probably from a box-brownie style camera, of a July 1936 cruise to Fiji by Eric Saxton.

    There are also some loose photographs, a folder of negatives, and a packet of postcards titled 'Beautiful Brisbane'. In the front there is a large print of the cruise ship STRATHNAVER and the album contains annotated photographs of 'Native Markets', 'Firewalkers' and other Fijian scenes. There is also a section on a day tour conducted to the Blackall Ranges in Queensland.

    Launched in 1931, the STRATHNAVER was a Royal Mail Ship and ocean liner operated by the Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company (P&O). It was the first of a series of Strath class ocean liners built in the 1930s by the Vickers-Armstrong shipyard, in Barrow-in-Furness, then in Lancashire. The STRATHNAVER was the sister ship of the RMS STRATHAIRD, with both ships serving the Australian mail route. The ships became known as The White Sisters, being the first P&O liners to be painted with white hulls and yellow funnels.

    Two further Strath class ships, slightly larger and with only one funnel, the STRATHMORE and the STRATHEDEN, joined them on the Sydney run from the mid 1930s. A fifth ship, the STRATHALLAN, was completed in 1938 and requisitioned as a troop ship in World War II.

    Increasing unreliability of the older pair of Strath liners led P&O to replace them both with the SS CANBERRA in 1961.



    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.