Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Survey of Port Jackson, New South Wales

Date: 1826
Dimensions:
Overall: 510 x 690 mm, 50 g
Medium: Ink on paper
Credit Line: ANMM Collection
Classification:Maps, charts and plans
Object Name: Chart
Object No: 00028970
Place Manufactured:Sydney

User Terms

    Description
    This chart of Port Jackson, New South Wales, was drawn by John Septimus Roe of the Royal Navy in 1822 and was first published in 1826. Corrections were added in 1856.

    The chart features soundings in fathoms, Sow and Pigs Reef showing a lightship, Hen and Chicken Reef, Outer South Head Signal Station, Waterview Bay (Mort's Bay) Dry Dock and a street plan of Sydney. It also shows the continuation of the Parramatta River up to Parramatta.
    SignificanceThis is a rare early survey chart of Port Jackson by the eminent Australian hydrographer John Septimus Roe.
    HistoryJohn Septimus Roe (1797-1878) is an important figure in Australian hydrography. Roe was posted as master's mate to the surveying service in New South Wales, arriving in Sydney in September 1817 aboard the DICK. He accompanied Lieutenant Phillip Parker King on three voyages of exploration along the coastline of Australia on board HMCS MERMAID and HMCS BATHURST. During these voyages they completed a brief survey of the Derwent River, and completed long surveys of the west, north-west and northern coasts of Australia, filling in the gaps of previous work by Matthew Flinders.

    In 1823, Roe returned to England and sought from the Admiralty an appointment as Lieutenant, a rank in which he had acted in during his voyages aboard the BATHURST with King. In 1824, Roe again sailed to Australia, helping to establish the temporary settlement at Port Essington. In 1827 he was appointed by The Hydrographic Office to work on The Australia Directory - the first sailing directions for Australia. He was later appointed Surveyor General for Western Australia, a post at which he served for 42 years.

    Sometime between 1817 and 1823, Roe completed a Hydrographic Survey of Port Jackson. Although dated 1822, it is highly unlikely that Roe, who left the colony on 22 April that year, found time to do the survey.

    Of interest is the information on the Macquarie Tower and Light, opened in April 1818. Roe's survey of Port Jackson may date from this time. Another point of interest is the original marking (not part of the update) of the floating light on Sow and Pigs Reef. It was not until 1836 that the first lightship - the schooner ROSE - was anchored to mark the reef.

    Additional Titles

    Web title: Survey of Port Jackson, New South Wales

    Primary title: SURVEY OF PORT JACKSON, NEW SOUTH WALES ENGRAVED BY WALKER, J AND C DRAWN IN 1822 WITH CORRECTIONS IN 1856

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.