Search the Collection
Advanced Search

HMAS BARWON pennant

Date: 1945-1947
Dimensions:
Overall: 255 x 625 mm, 0.05 kg
Medium: Colour transfers on felt
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from Jenny Cottle
Object Name: Pennant
Object No: 00028472

User Terms

    Description
    This felt triangular wall pennant commemorates the Royal Australian Navy (RAN) frigate HMAS BARWON. It features the ship's badge; upper left quadrant shows a ram with golden fleece (red background), upper right a sheaf of golden wheat with red ribbon around the stems (navy background), inner left a golden ship at sea (navy background), inner right three bunches of grapes hang over a gold and red barrel (gold background). In the centre is a miniature shield, with kangaroo on a white background. There is a green wreath around the shield, and the rising sun at the top. The ship's motto, "By the right use of God's gifts", is printed on a banner beneath the shield.
    SignificanceThis pennant represents one of the 12 River class frigates built in Sydney for the Royal Australian Navy.
    HistoryHMAS BARWON was a River class frigate built at Sydney's Cockatoo Docks & Engineering Co Ltd. It was commissioned at Sydney on 10 December 1945 under the command of LCDR Algernon G Rose RANR but was too late to participate in World War II.

    151 River class frigates were launched between 1941 and 1944 for anti-submarine and convoy duties; 12 were built in Australia for the Royal Australian Navy. The British Royal Navy and the Royal Canadian Navy were the made navies who used the frigates in WWII. Other navies included the Free French Navy, the Royal Netherlands Navy and the South African Navy.

    After trials and working up BARWON sailed from Sydney on 14 February 1946 for service in northern waters. Following a brief visit to Darwin the anti-submarine frigate proceeded to the Philippines.

    Returning to Darwin BARWON was engaged in various duties, including the dumping of obsolete ammunition and inspection of coastal lights. It also embarked members of a War Crimes Tribunal for passage to Koepang, in Timor, and returned them to Darwin.

    From 1 July to 29 August 1946, BARWON was in Sydney undergoing a refit. On completion the ship proceeded to New Guinea waters where duties included the inspection and repair of coastal navigation lights and the inspection of bomb, mine and ammunition dumps.

    BARWON returned to Melbourne on 20 January 1947, ending a short seagoing career. The frigate was paid off into the Naval Reserve on 31 March 1947 and eventually in 1962 sold as scrap to H C Sleigh for Mitsubishi (Australia) Pty Ltd. It was later sold to the Japanese firm Amakasu Sangyo Kisen Co Ltd.

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.