Search the Collection
Advanced Search

The Detached Squadron

Date: 1881
Dimensions:
Image: 121 x 205 mm
Overall: 151 x 243 mm, 0.01 kg
Sheet: 151 x 243 mm
Medium: Photographic print on paper
Credit Line: ANMM Collection
Classification:Photographs
Object Name: Photograph
Object No: 00027553
Place Manufactured:Sydney

User Terms

    Description
    The Detached Squadron of the Royal Navy was a squadron of warships intended to patrol the sea lanes of the British Empire. In 1881 it consisted of HM Ships BACCHANTE, CARYSFORT, CLEOPATRA, TOURMALINE and INCONSTANT. On 6 July 1881 the Detached Squadron arrived in Sydney on a flag-showing cruise. This photograph was taken over three weeks later on 29 July 1881 after the Squadron had returned from a trip to Melbourne. All five vessels are clearly visible in the photograph.
    SignificanceThis photograph is an important document in both British naval history and Australian colonial history. It is also useful as a visual record of five British warships as they would have appeared in July, 1881.
    HistoryThe Detached Squadron of the Royal Navy consisted of the ironclad screw-propelled corvette HMS BACCHANTE, the standard screw-propelled corvettes HMS CARYSFORT, HMS CLEOPATRA and HMS TOURMALINE and the iron-clad screw-propelled frigate HMS INCONSTANT.

    On 6 July 1881 the Detached Squadron arrived in Sydney on a flag-showing cruise. The Squadron was commanded by Vice-Admiral Richard James Meade (4th Earl of Clanwilliam) who was born on 3 October 1832, joined the Royal Navy in 1845, saw service in several major world conflicts and died on 4 August, 1907. His flagship was the INCONSTANT. HMS BACCHANTE is also notable for having been the vessel on which Princes George and Albert of the British royal family were serving as midshipmen.
    Additional Titles

    Primary title: 'The Detached Squadron', Photograph

    Web title: The Detached Squadron

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.