Search the Collection
Advanced Search
Image Not Available

Richard and Edward Peyton maker tag

Date: Before 1857
Dimensions:
Overall: 24 x 68 mm, 0.009 kg
Medium: Copper alloy
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Purchased with the assistance of the Andrew Thyne Reid Trust
Classification:Ephemera
Object Name: Label
Object No: 00025727
Place Manufactured:Birmingham
Related Place:South Head,

User Terms

    Description
    A copper alloy makers label for Richard and Edward Peyton. It is impressed with `Richd. & Edwd. Peyton / Birmingham / Patentees & Manufacturers'. Part of the material from the historic shipwreck DUNBAR.
    The DUNBAR Collection was retrieved under the auspices of an amnesty enacted through the jurisdiction of the Historic Shipwrecks Act, 1976.
    History"Peyton & Peyton were English manufacturers of bicycles, iron bedsteads and metallic furnishings, marketing to cabinet-makers, upholsterers, ironmongers and bedding merchants. The Bordesley Works was located in the metal-working town of Birmingham with convenient access to Staffordshire coal and iron resources. The firm began as Peyton and Harlow in 1852, becoming Peyton & Peyton in 1858. The firm held numerous patents, including the original 1841 Church & Harlow patent for 'Dovetail Joints', with casting of interlocking sections significantly improving manufacturing and construction methods. From a factory covering 2 acres of land, the firm manufactured everything from raw materials, rather than purchasing constituent parts, including castings, metal tub es, vases and casters and even the tools specific to their industry. The company exhibited in the International Exhibitions of London 1851 & 1862, Paris 1867, 1875 & 1878, Dublin 1865, Amsterdam 1869, Vienna 1873, Philadelphia 1876, Sydney 1879, Melbourne and Adelaide 1881 & 1887, Christchurch 1882 and Calcutta 1884, and was awarded many medals. The firm produced a number of catalogues, and this c1868 catalogue is one of 4 held in the Caroline Simpson Library & Research Collection at the HHT.
    Peyton & Peyton had agents in Australia and New Zealand, exporting to Australia as early as 1858, with bedsteads also auctioned by Purkis & Lambert of George St, Sydney, NSW, and regular shipments to Victoria indicated from 1859 and Tasmania, Brisbane and Adela ide from the 1870s. Sydney importers John Lawler & Sons frequently advertised Peyton's four post, half-tester and French bedsteads in a variety of sizes and finishes."
    [Marina Grilanc, September 2011]
    [http://collection.hht.net.au/firsthht/digitalTradeCatalogue.jsp]
    Related Sites South Head

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.