Search the Collection
Advanced Search

T and G Clarke and Co maker tag

Date: Before 1857
Overall: 31 x 48 mm, 0.002 kg
Medium: Alloy
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Purchased with the assistance of the Andrew Thyne Reid Trust
Object Name: Label
Object No: 00025736
Related Place:South Head,

User Terms

    A metal maker label for T & G Clarke & Co. The label features the name "T & G Clarke & Co. Improved" with a crest of a lion and unicorn in the middle, the motto `dieu et mon deoit' and 'coffee mill' at the bottom. The company were well known coffee mill makers in Wolverhampton from 1770. Part of the material from the historic shipwreck DUNBAR.
    The DUNBAR Collection was retrieved under the auspices of an amnesty enacted through the jurisdiction of the Historic Shipwrecks Act, 1976.
    HistoryThomas and Charles Clark & Co Ltd.’s was established in 1795 at the Shakespeare Works, in Horseley Fields. They initially began by making coffee mills and then diversified into hollow-ware. There were approximately eight separate coffee mill manufacturers and almost 400 men and women employed in the industry during the C19 period. Wolverhampton-made mills were highly thought of. Two Wolverhampton manufacturers exhibited mills in the Great Exhibition of 1851, and advertisements for Wolverhampton-made mills appeared in the Indian and Colonial Directory of 1870 and also in newspapers in Australia and New Zealand.
    The T & C Clark mills were highly regarded and won a silver medal at the Paris Exhibition of 1889.

    On the night of Thursday 20 August 1857, the clipper DUNBAR approached the heads of Sydney Harbour after a voyage of 81 days.
    Launched in 1853, the vessel was owned by Duncan Dunbar, and was the sister ship of the PHOEBE DUNBAR, the DUNBAR CASTLE and the DUNCAN DUNBAR.
    Under the command of Captain Green, the DUNBAR was on its second voyage to Sydney. Despite the treacherous weather conditions on the night, Captain Green and his crew attempted to enter Sydney Harbour that evening, rather than wait until morning.
    The DUNBAR was driven into the reef at the foot of South Head and began to break up immediately. In the hours that followed, all but one of the passengers and crew perished. The survivor, Able Seaman James Johnson clung to a ledge on the cliff face until he was rescued on the morning of 22 August, some 36 hours after the DUNBAR ran aground.
    When news of the wreck reached Sydney the following day, it immediately captured the attention of the public. In the days following, the media provided extensive coverage of the search for survivors and victims, and daily chronicled the progress of the inquest.
    Residents were drawn to the scene for the morbid task of identifying friends, relatives and business associates. Still only a relatively small town, Sydney was staggered by the enormity and proximity of the tragedy.
    A mass funeral for those who died and who, in most cases, could not be identified was held on 24 September. The interments took place at St. Stephen's Cemetery, Camperdown where there is still a monument to the victims.

    Related Sites South Head

    Discuss this Object


    Please log in to add a comment.