Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Reproduced courtesy of the Allcot Trust

The Barque ST KILDA

Date: c 1909
Dimensions:
Overall: 476 x 603 x 28 mm, 2.75 kg
Sight: 450 x 575 mm
Medium: Oil paint, art board
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from D Lyons
Object Copyright: © Allcot Trust
Classification:Art
Object Name: Painting
Object No: 00018987
Place Manufactured:Australia

User Terms

    Description
    An oil painting of ST KILDA a three masted iron schooner, attributed to John Allcot (the painting is unsigned).

    The donor of this work believes Allcot was commissioned by his friend Frank Griffiths Hine, who was a former deck
    officer of the ST KILDA, to paint a picture of the vessel soon after Allcot had moved to Sydney.



    SignificanceThis work would constitute one of Allcot's earliest maritime paintings and although naive illustrates well his grasp of the subject that would come to closely associated with his name.
    HistoryJohn Allcot was born in Derbyshire, England in November 1888, the son of a master mariner.
    Despite being apprenticed as a lithographer in Liverpool, Allcot went to sea at a nearly age and arrived in Sydney aboard the MILTIADES in 1909. He worked aboard ships for the next few years before taking up painting full time in 1912.
    In the 1920's, he embarked on a series of paintings of incidents in Australian history and was commissioned by
    the Government of New South Wales to paint Captain Cook's ENDEAVOUR and the flag ship SIRIUS. He became well known for his impressionistic watercolours of sailing ships and passenger liners entering Sydney Harbour. Except for the occasional still life and landscape he always painted marines.
    The ST KILDA was a three masted iron schooner, built by Fullarton's of Paisley, Scotland in 1868. The vessel was
    originally owned by John Kidston of Glasgow but was sold on its arrival in Melbourne to John and David Spencer of
    Melbourne .
    For the next thirty years, a testimony to the builders and the building material, St Kilda plied its trade between
    South Africa, New Zealand, India and various ports in Australia. During these voyages the vessel carried
    alcohol, castor oil, sardines, jams, medicines, canvas, rope, twine, flour, cast-iron, tobacco pipes, chemicals,
    wool, stationery and passengers.
    In 1908 the schooner was purchased by Cleghorn, Hopkins & Co of Auckland, New Zealand and later converted in to a hulk. The schooner ended its days in Brisbane as a lighter, disappearing from The Register of Australian and
    New Zealand Shipping in the mid 1940's.
    Constructed during a time when iron ships were built under special surveys, the St Kilda was a nearly example of iron
    ship building technology. Its length of service and its success as a trading vessel helped confirm iron and steel
    as the ship building material for the future.

    The image depicts the portside of the ST KILDA at sea under full sail, the ship flys the red ensign and the international code signal letters W.M.N.T., the house flag of the owner Alex Hatrick.
    Related People

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.