Search the Collection
Advanced Search

HMAS INVERELL felt pennant

Date: c 1950
Dimensions:
Overall: 287 x 645 mm, 0.05 kg
Medium: Felt
Credit Line: ANMM Collection
Object Name: Pennant
Object No: 00018402

User Terms

    Description
    This triangular navy blue felt pennant features the badge of the Bathurst class minesweeper HMAS INVERELL. Screen printed in gold the ship's badge shows its connection with the NSW town of Inverell, after which it was named: beef, sheep, wheat and sapphire mining.
    SignificancePennants such as this were made as souvenirs for the crews.
    HistoryHMAS INVERELL (pennant numbers J233; then M233) was named for the New South Wales town of Inverell. It was one of 60 Bathurst class minesweepers (also known as corvettes) constructed during World War II in Australian shipyards as part of the Commonwealth Government's wartime shipbuilding program.

    INVERELL was laid down by Mort's Dock and Engineering Co Ltd, Balmain, New South Wales on 7 December 1941, and launched on 2 May 1942 by Mrs T S Punch, Mayoress of Inverell. The corvette was commissioned into the Royal Australian Navy (RAN) on 17 September 1942 and began service in November 1942 as a convoy escort along the eastern Australian coast. INVERELL was then deployed to Darwin for escort runs between Darwin and Thursday Island.

    In early February 1943, INVERELL rescued the crew of a US Army Air Force bomber which had crashed on Croker Island. From September 1944 the corvette was based in Fremantle, undertaking training exercises with USN and RN submarines, with secondary duties including convoy escort and patrol. This deployment lasted until May 1945 when she was sent back to Darwin for minesweeping duties. In July INVERELL was based in Morotai and used as a patrol vessel until the end of World War II. The corvette received two battle honours for wartime service: Darwin 1943; Pacific 1942-45.

    Post-war duties included the transfer of Dutch East Indies territories from Japanese to Allied control; and a month operating off the coast of Queensland before arriving in Brisbane on 25 December 1945 for decommissioning. Inverell was paid off into reserve on 14 June 1946 and in November was towed to Sydney by sister ship HMAS ECHUCA.

    On 5 March 1952, INVERELL and three other Bathurst class corvettes (HMA Ships ECHUCA, KIAMA and STAWELL) were transferred to the Royal New Zealand Navy (RNZN).

    INVERELL was commissioned into the RNZN on 10 April 1952, but was decommissioned into reserve after a refit. In 1965, the corvette was refitted as a training and fisheries patrol ship and served until 19 August 1976, when she was decommissioned for the final time. On 1 November 1977, INVERELL was sold to Pacific Scrap Limited of Auckland for scrapping.

    Additional Titles

    Assigned title: HMAS INVERELL wall pennant

    Web title: HMAS INVERELL felt pennant

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.