Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Builder's model of MV BULOLO owned by Burns Philp & Co

Date: 1938
Dimensions:
Overall: 83 mm, 174.16 lb (79 kg)
Display dimensions: 2580 x 440 x 932 mm
Medium: Wood, bronze, brass
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from Burns, Philp & Company Limited
Classification:Models
Object Name: Ship model
Object No: 00018170
Place Manufactured:Scotland

User Terms

    Description
    The Burns, Philp & Co Ltd vessel MV BULOLO is represented in this ship builder's model at a scale of 1:36. BULOLO was a two-masted cargo passenger ship and armed merchant cruiser which had a successful military and merchant career including service during World War II.
    SignificanceThis ship model is representative of the merchant vessel MV BULOLO, flagship of one of Australia's most established merchant companies, Burns, Philp & Co Ltd. It was active in the development of trade networks between Australia and the South East Pacific.
    HistoryThe shipping line Burns, Philp & Co Ltd was incorporated in 1883. The company's early operations included running small stores on Queensland's Gympie goldfields and shipping goods between Brisbane and Sydney. The company expanded and began shipping between Australia and the South East Pacific running numerous plantations and warehouses overseas.

    In the interwar period of the 20th century Burns, Philp & Co became an established name in Australia; their ships were clearly recognisable by their Scotch Thistle flag. They operated on the Australian Stock Exchange until December 2006 when they were divided and sold.

    MV BULOLO was launched on 31 May 1938 at Glasgow, Scotland. It was ordered by Burns, Philp & Co, who used the vessel to fulfill their mail service contract with the Australian government. It visited many ports in Australia, Papua New Guinea, the Solomon Islands, New Hebrides, Norfolk and Lord Howe Islands. BULOLO ran 8 trips as a merchant vessel before being commissioned into the Merchant Navy on 22 September 1939 to serve as a convoy escort. In 1942 BULOLO was made into a Landing Ship Headquarters and a communication centre for the Allies in Algiers, Sicily, Anzio and Normandy.

    BULOLO was eventually handed back to Burns, Philp & Co in 1948 and was once more used as the Commonwealth's mail service. It also ran as a passenger liner accommodating over 200 guests with luxuries including a cinema, stateroom and glass deck swimming pool. For 20 years it was the largest liner to travel between Australia and Papua New Guinea on a regular basis. In January 1968 Burns, Philp & Co sold the vessel to Chinese buyers who scrapped it in May 1968.
    Additional Titles

    Web title: Builder's model of MV BULOLO owned by Burns Philp & Co

    Assigned title: Erbauer-Modell von MV BULOLO im Besitz von Burns Philp & Co

    Assigned title: Builder's model van MV Bulolo eigendom van Burns Philp & Co

    Related People

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.