Search the Collection
Advanced Search

ANMM Collection Reproduced courtesy of Donald Bastock

HMS EURYALUS

Date: c 1988
Dimensions:
Overall: 30 x 40.2 mm, 0.05 kg
Medium: Oil on composite board
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from John Bastock
Object Copyright: © Donald Bastock
Classification:Art
Object Name: Painting
Object No: 00016909
Place Manufactured:Australia

User Terms

    Description
    The flagship for the Australia Station HMS EURYALUS is depicted flying the flag of the Vice Admiral. EURYALUS was flagship between 1904 and 1905. During its one year service the armoured cruiser patrolled Australian waterways protecting shipping and trade in the Commonwealth.
    SignificanceThis modern painting is an important pictorial record of the armoured cruiser HMS EURYALUS and its service on the Australia Station at the turn of the 20th century.
    HistoryThe armoured cruiser EURYALUS was built by Vickers, Sons and Maxim at Barrow and completed in 1903. The cruiser received its commission as flagship of the Australia Station in January 1904 and was commanded by Captain C L Napier. In July 1905 EURYALUS was present when Vice Admiral Sir Arthur Fanshawe was promoted to Admiral. The ship's main duties were patrolling and cruising Australia's coastline and harbours.

    EURYALUS finished service in Australia during 1905 and was relieved by HMS POWERFUL. During World War I EURYALUS was the flagship of Rear Admiral Christian in the North Sea and also conducted convoy operations between England and Gibraltar. Under Rear Admiral Wemyss it was flagship during the Dardanelles campaign and by 1920 was scrapped in Germany.

    During the 19th century Britain was preoccupied with increasing its colonial territories and maintaining the empire. The British Royal Navy (RN) at the height of its power divided the world into strategic zones or stations that were manned by a squadron of warships responsible for cruising and protecting British territories and shipping. Until the 1850s Australasia was covered by the East India Station, a vast area that included the Indian Ocean and the waters around Australia. After pressure from the colonial governments of New Zealand and Australia the RN formed the Australia Station as a separate command in 1859.

    The station was established to guard British shipping and trade in the Australasian region and ensure sea routes were open and safe. In 1859 the Australia Station included the British territories of New Zealand, Chatham Island, New Hebrides, Loyalty Islands, Fiji and Australia. By 1903 the boundaries were increased to include New Guinea, Caroline and Marshall Islands and the Society Islands.
    Additional Titles

    Web title: HMS EURYALUS

    Assigned title: HMS EURYALUS

    Related People

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.