Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Key and key ring for SS MARIPOSA

Date: c 1939
Dimensions:
Overall: 150 x 33 mm, 0.05 kg
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from Miriam Throsby
Object Name: Key ring
Object No: 00016667

User Terms

    HistorySS MARIPOSA was designed for service in the Pacific Ocean including regular stops in ports along the West Coast of the United States, Hawaii, Samoa, Fiji, New Zealand and Australia. The maiden voyage began 16 January 1932 from New York City to Havana, transiting the Panama Canal and onward to the Port of Los Angeles before continuing on to tour ten more countries in the south and west Pacific.

    In World War II she served the United States as a fast troop carrier, bringing supplies and support forces to distant shores as well as rescuing persons stranded in foreign countries by the outbreak of war.

    In 1947 the ship was suspended for six years at Bethlehem-Alameda Shipyard in Alameda, California. The engines were overhauled by Todd San Francisco Division. Home Lines bought the vessel and renamed it SS HOMERIC, sailing to Trieste for reconstruction to allow 1243 passengers: 147 First Class and 1,096 tourist class. Gross register tonnage increased to 18,563. Total length increased to 641 feet (195.5 meters).

    Home Lines operated the ship beginning 24 January 1955 for liner service between ports in the north Atlantic. In 1964 it replaced the SS ITALIA for the regular run between New York and Nassau, Bahamas, and then in turn was shortly replaced by SS OCEANIC. The HOMERIC was re-assigned to intra-Caribbean cruises. In 1973, a major fire destroyed much of the galley and restaurant and the ship was scrapped in Taiwan in 1974. During the ship breaking process, a sister ship ELLINIS (ex-LURLINE) suffered major engine damage on a cruise to Japan; Chandris Lines was able to purchase one of the MARIPOSA engines from the ship breakers.
    Related People

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.