Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Royal Australian Navy nurses uniform glove, right hand

Date: 1939 - 1945
Medium: Leather
Credit Line: ANMM Collection
Object Name: Glove
Object No: 00016628
Place Manufactured:France

User Terms

    Description
    A right handed leather glove from a World War II Royal Australian Nurses uniform.
    The complete World War II Royal Australian Nurses uniform consists of dress, hat with band and badge, cape, working skirt, white blouse, khaki blouse, navy jacket, great coat and leather gloves (00016623 - 00016632 and 00016637).
    SignificanceThe Royal Australian Naval Nursing Service (RANNS) was established in October 1942 and Miss Ina Laidlaw became the first matron. The number in the service never exceeded 60 during the war and being such a small unit in the Royal Australian Navy, a complete uniform such as this is quite rare.
    HistoryInitially the RANNS consisted of only 24 nurses (12 nurses chosen in Melbourne and 12 in Sydney) but their numbers would increase to sixty before the end of World War II.
    The nurses served in naval hospitals in Sydney and Darwin, at Milne Bay, Papua, and at Flinders Naval Depot, Westernport, Victoria. They also staffed naval sick-quarters in Brisbane and Canberra, at Townsville and Cairns, Queensland, and at Fremantle, Western Australia. Others complemented established AANS and RAAFNS units at army and air force hospitals.

    Related People
    Maker: Lauret

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.