Search the Collection
Advanced Search
Image Not Available

Oil taker TOUROING and oil bunker barge TIGA at wharf

Date: 1940s
Dimensions:
Overall: 162 x 209 mm, 0.003 kg
Medium: Nitrate based film
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from the Estate of Peter Britz
Classification:Photographs
Object Name: Nitrate negative
Object No: 00017650
Place Manufactured:Sydney

User Terms

    Description
    An image depicting the oil tanker TOURCOING at centre guided by a tugboat. The ship in the foreground is the TIGA. The TIGA served in the Royal Navy in WWI as HMS M16. She was scrapped in Sydney after 1953.
    SignificanceThe TIGA, HMS M16, was a First World War Royal Navy M15-class monitor who served in the Mediterranean from July 1915 to October 1918.
    HistoryThe TIGA, which was orignally known as HMS M16, was ordered in March 1915 as part of the War Emergency Programme of ship construction. She was launched on 3 May 1915 and completed in June 1915. At the conclusion of WWI HMS M16 was sold for mercantile service as an oil tanker with Anglo Saxon Petroleum Co, and renamed TIGA.

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.