Search the Collection
Advanced Search

GERALD C TOBEY entering Port Phillip Heads, 24 December 1885

Date: 1886
Dimensions:
Overall: 1011 x 695 mm, 1.85 kg
Medium: Watercolour paint, paper
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Purchased with USA Bicentennial Gift funds
Classification:Art
Object Name: Painting
Object No: 00015715
Place Manufactured:Melbourne
Related Place:Port Phillip Bay,

User Terms

    Description
    Broadside view of three masted, full rigged barque GERALD C. TOBEY. Its sails are unfurled and its flying the United States flag from the mizzen mast and a white flag with a red inscription 'G.C. Tobey' reversed. Crew can be seen on deck. In the background land can be seen with birds flying in the sky and unidentified vessels at centre right. The GERALD C. TOBEY was a barque of 1390 tons built at Bath, Maine in 1878.
    SignificanceThe work represents the commercial shipping trade of the nineteenth century.
    HistoryGERALD C. TOBEY was built and owned by Gross, Sawyer & Packard and launched in August 1878. For her maiden voyage she transported a load of timber from Maine to Cardiff which took 20 days. Until 1900, GERALD C. TOBEY traveled around globe transporting a wide variety of items including coal and wheat. She mainly traveled between Atlantic ports, China and Japan.

    GERALD C. TOBEY was sold in 1900 to Welch & Co in San Francisco and for the next eight years carried sugar to the Hawaiian islands. The vessel continued in that role following its sale to Captain William Matson in 1908. Two years later it was sold to the Ocean Barge & Towboat Co. of Seattle and converted into a barge. GERALD C. TOBEY became a total loss in July 1914 after foundering in the Seymour Narrows, British Columbia.
    Additional Titles

    Web title: GERALD C TOBEY entering Port Phillip Heads

    Primary title: GERALD C TOBEY entering Port Phillip Heads, 24 December 1885

    Related People

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.