Search the Collection
Advanced Search

THEMISTOCLES moored off Neutral Bay in Sydney for the Anniversary Day Regatta

Date: 26 January 1933
Overall: 164 x 215 mm, 1 mm, 0.15 kg
Medium: Emulsion on glass
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Transfer from the Mitchell Library
Object Name: Glass plate negative
Object No: 00013782
Place Manufactured:Sydney Cove
Related Place:Neutral Bay, Cremorne Point,

User Terms

    This image depicts the White Star liner THEMISTOCLES moored off Neutral Bay in Cremorne Point and dressed as the flagship for the 96th Anniversary Day Regatta on 26 January 1933. 'The Sydney Morning Herald' reported on one interesting aspect of the day's festivities:

    'Variety was given to the harbour scene by a representation of a huge sea serpent being propelled, apparently without effort, around the flagship, followed by a miniature "Ark Ararat" and other small craft symbolical of historical events.'
    SignificanceThe Hall collection provides an important pictorial record of recreational boating in Sydney Harbour, from the 1890s to the 1930s – from large racing and cruising yachts, to the many and varied skiffs jostling on the harbour, to the new phenomenon of motor boating in the early twentieth century. The collection also includes images of the many spectators and crowds who followed the sailing races.
    HistoryWilliam Frederick Hall, a fingerprint expert at Long Bay Gaol, set up a photographic studio in Sydney in 1890. Hall, formerly a butcher from England, became a well-known photographer whose photographic career in Sydney spanned a number of decades. William James Hall (1877–1951), also a photographer was his son with Caroline Asimus, who was born on 11 May 1877 in Woolloomooloo, Sydney. William James Hall joined the business and took over its operations in 1902. He established Hall & Co in 1904. Hall married Alice Rosina Hopson on 14 August 1901 in Bowral.

    Although neither the father nor the son were sailors, both developed a keen interest in sailing and sailing craft. During the late 1880 and early 1890s William Frederick Hall documented the weekend sailors and yachts of Sydney Harbour. William James Hall took over the tradition until the early 1930s capturing photographs from his motor boat. Each Monday, Hall would display photographs of weekend races on Sydney Harbour in the window of his studio at 20 Hunter Street.

    Hall also ventured into other areas of photography, and is generally considered to have pioneered the art of livestock photography in Australia at the start of the 20th Century. Hall’s company, Hall & Co were also known for their aerial, landscape, portraiture, city and rural photography. Survived by his second wife, Edith Hannah Gilkes, Hall died on 26 August 1951.

    A number of photographic studios were established by William F Hall and William J Hall. Known at different times as Hall studio, Hall & Co, W F Hall and Hall W the businesses were located variously at 7 Castlereagh Street, 39, 44 and 70 Hunter Street, 91 Phillip Street and 21 Blight Street in Sydney city from 1890 onwards.
    Additional Titles

    Primary title: UNTITLED (Regatta with flagship ON SYDNEY HARBOUR)

    Web title: THEMISTOCLES moored off Neutral Bay in Sydney for the Anniversary Day Regatta

    Related People

    Discuss this Object


    Please log in to add a comment.