Search the Collection
Advanced Search
Image Not Available

Yacht Mistral II, possibly in the Hawkesbury River region of New South Wales

Date: c 1925
Medium: Emulsion on glass
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Transfer from the Mitchell Library
Classification:Photographs
Object Name: Glass plate negative
Object No: 00010054
Place Manufactured:Hawkesbury

User Terms

    SignificanceThe Hall photographic collection provides an important pictorial record of recreational boating in Sydney Harbour from the 1890s to the 1930s. The collection documents the lively sailing scene in Sydney during this period and features images of vessels ranging from large racing and cruising yachts to the great array of skiffs and the emerging technologies of motorboats. Images of the many spectators and crowds who supported and followed the sailing races are also included in this visual record.
    HistoryMISTRAL II was built in 1922 by Mr M. Ford of Berry's Bay for E. P. Simpson, the Vice-Commodore of the Royal Sydney Yacht Squadron. MISTRAL II was one of the most luxurious yachts on Sydney Harbour in the 1920s and featured a dining saloon, a library and an M/4 type Thornycroft marine engine. In 1924 the yacht became one of the first in Sydney to have a wireless receiver installed. Under Simpon's ownership, MISTRAL II was skippered by Mr Frank Dillon.


    Additional Titles

    Web title: Yacht Mistral II, possibly in the Hawkesbury River region of New South Wales

    Assigned title: Sailing ship is viewed from behind, portside, with dinghy trailing behind

    Related People

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.