Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Cribbage runner-up G. Caulfield Sept. 1953

Date: 1953
Dimensions:
Overall: 90 x 120 x 120 x 120 mm
Medium: Electro - plated nickel silver, enamel
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from Sharon Holt
Object Name: Ashtray
Object No: 00009449

User Terms

    Description
    This cribbage trophy was fashioned out of an ashtray from the Burns, Philp & Co vessel MV BULOLO. It was awarded to George Caulfield, a ship steward and purser active in the Australian Merchant Navy during the 1930s and 1960s. Caulfield was runner-up in the cribbage competition during September 1953.
    SignificanceThis trophy represents the production of souvenirs and commemorative items from ship relics, specifically MV BULOLO. BULOLO served in the Merchant Navy during World War II and played a role in the development of trade between Australia and the South Pacific.
    HistoryThe shipping line Burns, Philp & Co Ltd became incorporated in 1883. The company's early operations included running small stores on Queensland's Gympie goldfields and shipping goods between Brisbane and Sydney. The company expanded and began shipping between Australia and the South East Pacific running numerous plantations and warehouses overseas.

    In the interwar period of the 20th century Burns, Philp & Co became an established name in Australia; their ships were clearly recognisable by their black funnels with a black-and-white check band and their Scotch Thistle flag. They operated on the Australian Stock Exchange until December 2006 when they were divided and sold.

    MV BULOLO was launched on 31 May 1938 at Glasgow, Scotland. It was ordered by Burns, Philp & Co, who used the vessel to fulfill their mail service contract with the Australian government. It visited many ports in Australia, Papua New Guinea, the Solomon Islands, New Hebrides, Norfolk and Lord Howe Islands. BULOLO ran 8 trips as a merchant vessel before being commissioned into the Merchant Navy on 22 September 1939 to serve as a convoy escort. In 1942 BULOLO was made into a Landing Ship Headquarters and a communication centre for the Allies in Algiers, Sicily, Anzio and Normandy.

    BULOLO was eventually handed back to Burns, Philp & Co in 1948 and was once more used as the Commonwealth's mail service. It also ran as a passenger liner accommodating over 200 guests with luxuries including a cinema, stateroom and glass deck swimming pool. For 20 years it was the largest liner to travel between Australia and Papua New Guinea on a regular basis. In January 1968 Burns, Philp & Co sold the vessel to Chinese buyers who scrapped it in May 1968.
    Additional Titles

    Primary title: Cribbage runner-up G. Caulfield Sept. 1953

    Web title: Ashtray made into a cribbage trophy

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.