Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Clipper card advertising FLEET WING

Date: c 1873
Dimensions:
Overall: 105 x 167 mm
Medium: Paper
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Purchased with USA Bicentennial Gift funds
Classification:Ephemera
Object Name: Clipper card
Object No: 00008632

User Terms

    Description
    This card is an advertisement for the clipper ship FLEET WING and its passage from New York to Melbourne and Newcastle. It consists of a wood cut coloured illustration on white enamel card. FLEET WING sailed under the operation of the Randolph M Cooley & Co shipping line.
    SignificanceClipper ship cards of the 19th century rarely survive as they were often discarded after the ships voyage was completed. This card illustrates maritime trade and commerce in Australia during the mid-19th century.
    HistoryClipper ship cards were one of the advertising methods used by ship owners to promote their vessels and transport schedules. In colourful print and bold designs they publicised the supposedly superior qualities of each vessel, often using images of maritime scenes, mythology, patriotism and women to promote their cause. The cards were largely manufactured during the late-19th century and were designed to be handed out at the docks. They were brighter and more appealing than the newspaper advertisements of the time but often used similar wording. They could be printed in up to seven different colours including blue, red, green white, black, brown, and yellow. Some printers also used gold, bronze and purple.

    The majority of clipper cards were produced when the popularity of the clipper ship was dwindling and merchants were opting for faster steam powered vessels. Clipper ships were largely active between 1845 and 1875. Their design concentrated on speed instead of cargo capacity, which was a great benefit for shipping companies eager to transport goods quickly. The sleek and graceful ships generated a sense of romance, competition, national pride and innovative technology. They were a symbol of American modernity and fundamental to the expanding global economy.

    The FLEET WING was used for transporting coal between Melbourne and Newcastle in 1873 to 1874. In 1884 it was active on the trade route between Hong Kong, New York and Manila. It was also part of the British lumber trade and salied under the new nameof VICTORIA . The vessel was condemned in 1885 at Melbourne.
    Additional Titles

    Assigned title: FLEET WING

    Web title: Clipper card advertising FLEET WING

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.