Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Orient Line, Travel in Luxury by 12000 Ton Steamers to Australia

Date: 1909-1914
Dimensions:
Display Dimensions: 1090 x 638 mm
Medium: Ink on paper
Credit Line: ANMM Collection
Classification:Posters and postcards
Object Name: Poster
Object No: 00006904
Place Manufactured:England
Related Place:Australia,

User Terms

    Description
    This poster advertising Orient Line services to Australia features an illustration of what appears to be Bradley's pylon, formerly part of the Sydney GPO facade, which was erected off Bradley's Head, Sydney in 1871 to mark the distance of one nautical mile from Fort Denison. The poster promotes the Orient Line's fleet of five 12,000 tonne ships, which were delivered in 1909 to fulfill the lucrative mail contract to Australia following the withdrawal of the Royal Steam Navigation Company.
    SignificanceThe poster is representative of the transition between traditional ship portrait compositions popular in the early 20th century, and later Modernist inspired designs. It is also an important document recording one of the ways in which travel was marketed to both national and international audiences.
    HistoryJames Thompson initiated a ship broking company in 1797 and by the mid 19th century operated sailing routes around the world. Scotsman James Anderson joined the company in 1828, with his nephew James Anderson joining in 1854. By 1869 the company was trading under the name Anderson, Anderson and Co. In 1878, keen to initiate a service to Australia, the company purchased a fleet of steam ships owned by the Pacific Steam Navigation Company and founded the Orient Steam Navigation Company (shortened to the Orient Line). In 1879 the ORIENT, a ship purpose-built for the company, entered service on the Australia route.

    By the turn of the century the Orient Line had a close association with the Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company, with the two companies sharing an Australian Government mail contract. This was a time of rapid expansion for the Orient Line with a succession of large 12,000 tonne steam ships entering into service in 1909. P&O acquired a controlling interest in the Orient Line in 1919, but the firm Anderson, Green and Co managed the subsidiary as a separate entity until it was formally absorbed in 1960. The fleet was upgraded after the First World War with five 20,000 tonne ships built in the 1920s. The state-of-the-art ORION, with what became the Line's signature corn-coloured hull, was launched in 1935.

    During the Second World War, Orient Line's ships were requisitioned for service, and half the fleet was lost. In the 1950s three new ships, the ORONSAY, ORCADES and ORSOVA were built to replace these losses. With competition from air travel, the Line's ships were increasingly diverted to cruising. The ORIANA was the last ship ordered for the Orient Line and the last one to fly the Orient Line flag. P&O and Orient formally merged to form P&O-Orient Lines in 1960.

    The Orient Line's fleet of five 12,000 tonne ships, ORSOVA, OTWAY, OSTERLEY, OTRANTO and ORVIETO, were delivered in 1909 to fulfill the lucrative mail contract to Australia following the withdrawal of its partner, the Royal Steam Navigation Company.
    Additional Titles

    Web title: Orient Line, Travel in Luxury by 12000 Ton Steamers to Australia

    Primary title: Poster 'Orient Line, Travel in Luxury by 12000 Ton Steamers to Australia', by F R W, 1909-1914.

    Related People
    Artist: F W R

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.