Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Bottle of Chlorodyne made by Dakin Brothers, Druggists

Date: c 1880
Dimensions:
Overall: 98 x 32 x 26mm, 0.1 kg
Medium: Paper, glass, organic matter
Credit Line: ANMM Collection
Classification:Tools and equipment
Object Name: Bottle
Object No: 00006097
Place Manufactured:London

User Terms

    HistoryChlorodyne was the name for one of the most famous patent medicines sold in the British Isles. It was invented in the 19th century by a Dr. John Collis Browne, a doctor in the British Indian Army; its original purpose was in the treatment of cholera. Browne sold his formula to the pharmacist John Thistlewood Davenport, who advertised it widely, as a treatment for cholera, diarrhea, insomnia, neuralgia, migraines, etc. As its principal ingredients were a mixture of laudanum (an alcoholic solution of opium), tincture of cannabis, and chloroform, it readily lived up to its claims of relieving pain, as a sedative, and for the treatment of diarrhea. Source Wikipedia.

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.