Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Bottle of Dr John Collis Browne's Chlorodyne made by J.T. Davenport Ltd

Date: c 1880
Dimensions:
Overall: 71 x 20 x 20mm
Medium: Paper, glass
Credit Line: ANMM Collection
Classification:Tools and equipment
Object Name: Bottle
Object No: 00006106
Place Manufactured:London

User Terms

    HistoryDr. John Collis Browne MRCS (1819–1884) was a British Army officer, inventor of items for yachts and the originator of the medicine Chlorodyne. Browne first used the remedy in India in 1848, when there was an outbreak of cholera, whilst he was serving with the 98th Regiment of Foot as their surgeon. In 1856 he left the army and went into partnership with John Thistlewood Davenport, a chemist, then at 33 Great Russell Street, to whom he assigned the sole right to manufacture and market Chlorodyne which, since the Medicines Act of 1968 has been known as 'J. Collis Browne's Compound'. It was still marketed by J.T. Davenport & Sons - the same family - up until the 1960s. Source Wikipedia
    Related People

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.