Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Souvenir milk jug from the Australian National Line

Date: Pre 1956
Dimensions:
Overall: 155 x 175 x 119 mm, 0.8 kg
Medium: Ceramic
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from ANL Container Line Pty Ltd
Object Name: Jug
Object No: 00004623
Place Manufactured:Australia

User Terms

    Description
    This milk jug features the Australian National Line (ANL) Crest and its colours of red and blue. The ANL was the national and international shipping carrier.
    SignificanceThis souvenir milk jug highlights the history of the Australian National Line as Australia's national and international shipping carrier. It also represents the souvenirs produced onboard passenger ships for the Australian public.
    HistoryThe Australian Coastal Shipping Commission was formed in October 1956 following the introduction of the Australian Coastal Shipping Commission Act. The Commission operated under the name Australian National Line (ANL). The ANL began with forty ships previously owned by the Australian Shipping Board. In 1959, the ANL expanded their operations to include a ferry service, replacing the Tasmanian Steamer run route from Melbourne - Devonport. The first ferry to depart on this route was the PRINCESS OF TASMANIA, the first roll on/roll off ferry in the southern hemisphere, which was constructed in Newcastle in September 1959. Following the success of the PRINCESS OF TASMANIA service, the ANL commissioned a cargo carrier, BASS TRADER, who commenced service in 1961.

    Following the success of the Melbourne - Devonport route, the ANL decided to establish a Sydney - Tasmania passenger service. The EMPRESS OF AUSTRALIA was constructed by Cockatoo Docks & Engineering Company Pty Ltd and completed in 1964. She undertook her first voyage from Sydney - Hobart in 1965, and shortly afterwards included a route from Sydney - Bell Bay/Burnie as well. In 1966 the Australian National Line chartered MV BOONAROO and MV JEPARIT to the Australian Government's Department of Shipping and Trade to transport equipment, stores, ammunition, food and other essentials to Australian troops during the Vietnam War. Trouble started in 1969 when sections of the maritime union refused to man the ships. Under Government powers, both vessels were commissioned into the Royal Australian Navy thereby allowing detachments of RAN sailors to man them and quell the troubles.

    In 1969 the Australian National Line again expanded their Australian passenger service with the introduction of the passenger liner AUSTRALIAN TRADER, who operated a route between Burnie, Devonport and Bell Bay. In 1984 however the ANL announced an end to their ferry business, in order to concentrate on the freight and cargo business. In 1998 ANL's container shipping operations and trading name were bought by the French shipping company CMA CGM. Under CMA CGM, the Australian National Line still runs both North-South and East-West directional trade routes.
    Additional Titles

    Primary title: MILK JUG FROM THE AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL LINE

    Web title: Souvenir milk jug from the Australian National Line

    Related People

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.