Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Menus from the AROSA KULM

Date: 1955
Dimensions:
Overall: 295 mm
Medium: Ink on paper
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from Werner Hoering
Object Copyright:
Classification:Ephemera
Object Name: Menu
Object No: 00003948
Place Manufactured:Deutschland

User Terms

    Description
    A selection of menus from the AROSA KULM. The menus cover the period 19 November to 4 December 1955 on the vessel's voyage from Bremerhaven to Sydney.
    SignificanceShip menus became important souvenirs for passengers travelling aboard. They were often signed by other passengers and usually featured decorative covers and were mementos of elaborate meals served. In the case of this menu from the AROSA KULM, it serves as a poignant reminder of a momentous journey of change for many of the passengers aboard heading for a new life in Australia.
    HistoryThe AROSA KULM was built in 1920 and was originally known as the CANTIGNY, a United States Army Transport.
    In 1940 the ship was transferred to a Belgian shipping company as Ville d’Anvers and was used in WWII. She resumed her to passenger service role in 1946 and became known as CITY OF ATHENS. In 1947 her name was changed again to the PROTEA but possibly due to a poor reputation for passenger comfort and facilities, she was refitted in 1952 and renamed the AROSA KULM. She was used extensively as an immigrant ship but also featured in her role transporting exchange students for the American Field Service, an exchange organization between Europe and he United States.
    The AROSA KULM was scrapped in Belgium in 1959.

    Related People

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.