Search the Collection
Advanced Search

B.P Line MV BULOLO souvenir mug

Date: 1938-1968
Dimensions:
Overall: 110 x 100 x 70 mm, 0.15 kg
Medium: Metal: Silver plate, enamel
Credit Line: ANMM Collection
Classification:Tools and equipment
Object Name: Mug
Object No: 00003463

User Terms

    Description
    This silver plated mug with a blue, white, red and silver enamelled badge came from the shipping line Burns, Philp & Company's MV BULOLO. BULOLO was requisitioned as a naval service ship during World War II. After the war, BULOLO was returned to Burns, Philp & Co.
    SignificanceThis tankard is representative of Burns, Philp & Company's role in developing trade between Australia and the Pacific region during the first half of the 20th century.
    HistoryThe shipping line Burns, Philp & Co Ltd became incorporated in 1883. The company's early operations included running small stores on Queensland's Gympie goldfields and shipping goods between Brisbane and Sydney. The company expanded and began shipping between Australia and the South East Pacific running numerous plantations and warehouses overseas.

    In the interwar period of the 20th century Burns, Philp & Co became an established name in Australia; their ships were clearly recognisable by their black funnels with a black-and-white check band and their Scotch Thistle flag. They operated on the Australian Stock Exchange until December 2006 when they were divided and sold.

    MV BULOLO was launched on 31 May 1938 at Glasgow, Scotland. It was ordered by Burns, Philp & Co, who used the vessel to fulfill their mail service contract with the Australian government. It visited many ports in Australia, Papua New Guinea, the Solomon Islands, New Hebrides, Norfolk and Lord Howe Islands. BULOLO ran 8 trips as a merchant vessel before being commissioned into the Merchant Navy on 22 September 1939 to serve as a convoy escort. In 1942 BULOLO was made into a Landing Ship Headquarters and a communication centre for the Allies in Algiers, Sicily, Anzio and Normandy.

    BULOLO was eventually handed back to Burns, Philp & Co in 1948 and was once more used as the Commonwealth's mail service. It also ran as a passenger liner accommodating over 200 guests with luxuries including a cinema, stateroom and glass deck swimming pool. For 20 years it was the largest liner to travel between Australia and Papua New Guinea on a regular basis. In January 1968 Burns, Philp & Co sold the vessel to Chinese buyers who scrapped it in May 1968.
    Additional Titles

    Primary title: B.P Line MV BULOLO souvenir mug

    Web title: Mug from MV BULOLO

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.