Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Certificate of Discharge issued to Lindsay MacIntosh

Date: 1937
Dimensions:
Overall: 157 x 195 mm
Display Dimensions: 157 x 195 mm
Medium: Ink on paper
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from Lindsay Macintosh
Classification:Ephemera
Object Name: Certificate
Object No: 00003216
Place Manufactured:Sydney

User Terms

    Description
    Engineer Lindsay MacIntosh worked on the SS ALLARA between Sydney and Newcastle in 1936. His certificate of discharge was issued on 30 March 1937 by the Mercantile Marine Office. ALLARA was built in 1924 by W Beardmore of Glasgow for shipping coal. It remained in service until 1952. ALLARA is a word from an Aboriginal language for day or dawn.
    SignificanceThis is an example of the certificates of discharge issued to members of the Australian merchant marine during the 1930s.
    HistoryThe ALLARA was built by W Beardmore & Co of Dalmuir, Glasgow in 1927. It served as a cargo vessel and collier, travelling a route from Newcastle, New South Wales to Port Adelaide, South Australia. In 1942 five crewmen were killed when the ship was torpedoed off the coast of Newcastle. In 1952 ALLARA was sold to a Greek company and renamed SANETLANA. In 1943, it was broken up at Rosyth.
    Additional Titles

    Primary title: CERTIFICATE OF DISCHARGE, NO 251704 ISSUSED TO LINDASY MACINTOSH, 4TH ENGINEER ABOARD "ALLARA"

    Web title: Certificate of Discharge issued to Lindsay MacIntosh

    Related People

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.