Search the Collection
Advanced Search

MACQUARIE - one of Devitt & Moore's sailing ships

Date: 1904
Dimensions:
Overall: 86 x 136 mm
Medium: Silver gelatin print on paper
Credit Line: ANMM Collection
Classification:Posters and postcards
Object Name: Postcard
Object No: 00002941

User Terms

    Description
    Postcard of the ship MACQUARIE, owned by Devitt & Moore during the late 1880s and 1890s. The date 4/08/04 written on the edge of the card, suggests this picture may have been used for archival purposes as Devitt & Moore, the MACQUARIE's owners, sold the vessel in 1904.
    SignificanceDevitt & Moore operated sailing ships, including the CITY OF ADELAIDE, from London to Adelaide and Sydney with emigrants; their ships returned to the UK -usually via Cape Horn- with cargoes of wool and wheat.
    HistoryIron vessel, built by R & H Green (Blackwall) for the Blackwall Line in 1875 as the MELBOURNE; Tonnage: 1965 gross, 1857 nett. Dimensions: Length 265', breadth 40' depth 23'.

    It was purchased from the Blackwall Line in 1888 by Devitt & Moore and renamed MACQUARIE; in 1904 the vessel was sold to J. Bryde and renamed FORTUNA.

    In 1890 Devitt & Moore formed an ocean training program to prepare cadets as seagoing officers in the merchant navy. "Devitt and Moore's Ocean Training Ships Ltd," was later formed in 1909.

    Pangbourne, the Nautical College, was founded in 1917 but by 1931 after several years of financial losses, the company was wound up and the college registered as a non profit private company. In 1969 the college dropped much of its nautical training in favour of a more all round academic focus; it still operates as Pangbourne College.


    Related People

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.