Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Starboard view of HMS WOLVERENE screw corvette warship

Date: c 1890
Medium: Emulsion on glass
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from Bruce Stannard
Classification:Photographs
Object Name: Glass plate negative
Object No: 00002511
Place Manufactured:Sydney Harbour

User Terms

    Description
    The HMS WOLVERENE, a screw corvette warship, in Sydney Harbour. By William Hall.
    SignificanceThe Hall collection provides an important pictorial record of recreational boating in Sydney Harbour, from the 1890s to the 1930s – from large racing and cruising yachts, to the many and varied skiffs jostling on the harbour, to the new phenomenon of motor boating in the early twentieth century . The collection also includes images of the many spectators and crowds who followed the sailing races.
    HistoryHMS WOLVERENE (sometimes spelled WOLVERINE) was a wooden screw corvette launched at Woolwich on 29 August 1863. After serving in North America and the West Indies Station in the 1860s, WOLVERINE was commissioned flagship of the Australia Station in 1875. During its service WOLVERENE was present for the Royal Navy's Detached Squadron world cruise in 1881 when the Princes Albert and George undertook naval training. WOLVERENE's service came to an end when it was replaced by HMS NELSON in 1882. At this time it was transferred to the New South Wales Naval Brigade for training purposes - challenging "enemy" ships at Sydney heads and "attacking" coastal and harbour fortifications. The ship was decommissioned in 1892, sold to a private firm in 1893 and with the engines removed was used as a hulk. One of its 8-inch broadside guns is located in Cook Park, Sans Souci, Sydney.

    Additional Titles

    Web title: Starboard view of HMS WOLVERENE screw corvette warship

    Assigned title: HMS WOLVERENE Screw corvette warship

    Related People

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.