Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Three-masted sailing ship at East Circular Quay wharf

Date: c 1896
Medium: Emulsion on glass
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from Bruce Stannard
Classification:Photographs
Object Name: Glass plate negative
Object No: 00002284
Place Manufactured:New South Wales

User Terms

    Description
    The presence of a sign for 'McBurney Wallis & Co Wool and Produce Brokers' on the light coloured building, centre, indicates that this image dates to the 1890s. McBurney Wallis & Co moved their operations into this building in late 1895.
    SignificanceThe Hall photographic collection provides an important pictorial record of recreational boating in Sydney Harbour from the 1890s to the 1930s. The collection documents the lively sailing scene in Sydney during this period and features images of vessels ranging from large racing and cruising yachts to the great array of skiffs and the emerging technologies of motorboats. The developing skyline of Sydney is also documented in this visual record
    HistoryDuring an industry boom of the mid 1860s, East Circular Quay began to develop as a major centre for the distribution and processing of wool. Many wool stores and warehouses were constructed along Circular Quay including the famous Morts & Co warehouse in 1869 as well as Pitt, Son & Badgery, Dalgety & Co and Hill, Clark & Co.

    The wool boom continued into the late 1800s and commerical focus began to shift from East Circular Quay to the Pyrmont-Ultimo peninsula. The demolition of the wool and bond stores in the East Circular Quay area began in the 1950s when many of these buildings were replaced with new structures such as ICI House, Unilever House and the AMP Building.
    Additional Titles

    Primary title: Three masted ship LA HOGUE at East Circular Quay wharf

    Web title: Three-masted sailing ship at East Circular Quay wharf

    Related People

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.