Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Ocean View Inn at Gerringong, New South Wales

Date: 1880s
Medium: Emulsion on glass
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from Bruce Stannard
Classification:Photographs
Object Name: Glass plate negative
Object No: 00002306
Place Manufactured:Gerringong

User Terms

    Description
    This photograph depicts the Ocean View Inn, which was located on Fern Street in Gerringong, New South Wales on the then main southern road from Kiama to Nowra.
    SignificanceThis photograph is one of the few examples of William Frederick Hall's work, as the majority of the museum's collection contains photographs taken by his son, William James Hall. Furthermore, it is a rare example of Hall senior's early work, before he established his studio in Sydney in 1890.

    The Hall collection provides an important pictorial record of recreational boating in Sydney Harbour, from the 1890s to the 1930s – from large racing and cruising yachts, to the many and varied skiffs jostling on the harbour, to the new phenomenon of motor boating in the early twentieth century. The collection also includes images of the many spectators and crowds who followed the sailing races.
    HistoryWilliam Frederick Hall, formerly a butcher from England, became a well-known photographer whose photographic career in Sydney spanned a number of decades. He was a fingerprint expert at Long Bay Gaol and set up a photographic studio in Sydney in 1890. He and his wife, Caroline Asimus, had a son William James Hall (1877–1951), who followed his father's lead and became a photographer.

    Although neither the father nor the son were sailors, both developed a keen interest in sailing and sailing craft. During the late 1880s and early 1890s William Frederick Hall documented the weekend sailors and yachts of Sydney Harbour. William James Hall took over the tradition until the early 1930s capturing photographs from his motor boat.

    A number of photographic studios were established by William F Hall and William J Hall. Known at different times as Hall studio, Hall & Co, W F Hall and Hall W the businesses were located variously at 7 Castlereagh Street, 39, 44 and 70 Hunter Street, 91 Phillip Street and 21 Blight Street in Sydney city from 1890 onwards.
    Related People

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.