Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Long Gully Bridge from Northbridge to Cammeray prior to opening

Date: c 1892
Medium: Emulsion on glass
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from Bruce Stannard
Classification:Photographs
Object Name: Glass plate negative
Object No: 00002308
Place Manufactured:Northbridge

User Terms

    Description
    The Long Gully Bridge was built to encourage residential development over the gully and was opened in January 1892. In 1935, the Department of Main Roads assessed the bridge and maintained that it held 'local significance as a landmark and tourist attraction' and 'considerable historical value'. In 2003, the Roads and Maritime Services determined the bridge was of 'State significance' and listed it on the Heritage and conservation register. It concluded:

    'The bridge is intimately associated with the residential development of the area to the north of the bridge, essential infrastructure which allowed its development to proceed in the late nineteenth century.'
    SignificanceThe Hall collection provides an important pictorial record of recreational boating in Sydney Harbour, from the 1890s to the 1930s – from large racing and cruising yachts, to the many and varied skiffs jostling on the harbour, to the new phenomenon of motor boating in the early twentieth century. The collection also includes images of the many spectators and crowds who followed the sailing races.
    HistoryWilliam Frederick Hall, formerly a butcher from England, became a well-known photographer whose photographic career in Sydney spanned a number of decades. He was a fingerprint expert at Long Bay Gaol and set up a photographic studio in Sydney in 1890. He and his wife, Caroline Asimus, had a son William James Hall (1877–1951), who followed his father's lead and became a photographer.

    Although neither the father nor the son were sailors, both developed a keen interest in sailing and sailing craft. During the late 1880s and early 1890s William Frederick Hall documented the weekend sailors and yachts of Sydney Harbour. William James Hall took over the tradition until the early 1930s capturing photographs from his motor boat.

    A number of photographic studios were established by William F Hall and William J Hall. Known at different times as Hall studio, Hall & Co, W F Hall and Hall W the businesses were located variously at 7 Castlereagh Street, 39, 44 and 70 Hunter Street, 91 Phillip Street and 21 Blight Street in Sydney city from 1890 onwards.
    Additional Titles

    Primary title: SUSPENSION BRIDGE FROM NORTHBRIDGE TO CAMMERAY PRIOR TO OPENING

    Web title: Long Gully Bridge from Northbridge to Cammeray prior to opening

    Related People

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.