Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Engine order telegraph from the USS CANBERRA

Date: 1943
Dimensions:
Overall: 1080 x 385 x 506 mm, 47.5 kg
Medium: Metal, wood
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from the Department of the Navy
Classification:Vessels and fittings
Object Name: Engine order telegraph
Object No: 00001715

User Terms

    Description
    This engine order telegraph came from the USS CANBERRA, a Baltimore class heavy cruiser built in 1943. It is mounted on planking from the USS CONSTITUTION.
    USS CANBERRA (CA-70) was commissioned on 14 October 1943. President Franklin Roosevelt asked that the U.S. cruiser be named to honour the Australian cruiser HMAS CANBERRA. It is the only American Navy ship ever named for an ally's sunken vessel.

    SignificanceThis engine order telegraph was given to the Australian National Maritime Museum by the United States Navy as a gift in 1987.
    "The engine order telegraph is a reminder to us of the close links which were forged between our nations during
    World War II. More importantly, it will be a lasting reminder of the contribution of the US Navy to the defence of Australia. "
    HistoryUSS CANBERRA (CA-70) was commissioned on 14 October 1943. President Franklin Roosevelt asked that the U.S. cruiser be named to honour the Australian cruiser HMAS CANBERRA. It is the only American Navy ship ever named for an ally's sunken vessel.
    HMAS CANBERRA was sunk and 84 crew members were lost during the battle of Savo Island on 9 August 1942. The battle involved a mixed force of American and Australian vessels fighting side-by-side against the Japanese.
    USS CANBERRA was refitted in 1952 as a guided missile heavy cruiser and was decommissioned in 1970.
    Additional Titles

    Assigned title: Engine order telegraph, from the USS CANBERRA

    Web title: Engine order telegraph from the USS CANBERRA

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.