Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Manly Beach (from Georges Head) New South Wales

Date: c 1878
Dimensions:
Overall: 170 x 220 mm
Medium: Ink on paper
Credit Line: ANMM Collection
Classification:Art
Object Name: Lithograph
Object No: 00000872
Place Manufactured:Sydney

User Terms

    Description
    This work was one of 22 lithographs printed in Robert Wendel's 'New South Wales Album' (1878), published by C Troedel & Co.

    It is a view of the fortifications at Georges Head and the harbour beyond. A cannon and a stockpile of cannon balls are visible, as are two soldiers. As seen in this work, the Battery, although strategically place, was initially vulnerable to attack from the harbour as it did not provide adequate cover for the men or equipment.
    SignificanceThis work depicts one of the military fortifications erected for the defence of Sydney.
    HistoryGeorges Head Battery was constructed in 1871 after the British Government decided to leave responsibility for colonial defence to the individual colonies. Situated in the outer harbour, Georges Head was chosen as a strategic area from which to prevent enemy ships entering the inner harbour. The Battery housed 4 x 80 pounder rifled muzzle-loading guns and 2 x 68 pounder muzzle-loading guns with 41 gun emplacements.

    With the advent of new technologies, the role of Georges Head Battery changed. In the 1880s, mines in the harbour were the latest line of defence and the responsibility for detonation lay with troops stationed at Georges Head. In the 20th century the anti-submarine net, important during the Second World War, ran across the harbour from Watsons Bay to Georges Head.

    The Australian Army withdrew from the fort in 2002 and the site has since been restored and is now open to the public.
    Additional Titles

    Primary title: Manly Beach (from George's Head) New South Wales

    Web title: Manly Beach (from Georges Head) New South Wales

    Related People

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.