Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Government House, Sydney and Cove Farm

Date: 1852
Dimensions:
Overall: 111 x 188 mm
Mount: 275 x 382 mm
Medium: Ink on paper
Credit Line: ANMM Collection
Classification:Art
Object Name: Lithograph
Object No: 00000889
Place Manufactured:London

User Terms

    Description
    This lithographed is based on the drawings by Louisa Mundy, the wife of Colonel Godfrey Mundy. It was published in Colonel Mundy's 'Our Antipodes' in 1852.

    This work depicts Government House, Sydney, sitting high on a hill overlooking Farm Cove and Sydney Harbour.
    SignificanceThis romanticised view of Sydney and Government House represents an important public structure in NSW.
    HistoryThe original Government House in Sydney was erected in 1789 and was a brick structure located in Sydney Cove. Until 1845, this poorly constructed building was used by successive governors until the British Government gave approval for the construction of a permanent structure.

    Present-day Government House is situated on 5 hectares of land near Farm Cove and was designed in 1835 by the Royal Architect, Edward Blore, in a romantic Gothic revival style. Several additions to the building occurred during the 19th century. Although the Governor of NSW does not generally reside on the premises anymore, the building is still used for ceremonial events.

    Farm Cove was the site of the first farm planted by the British after their arrival in Sydney in 1788, in the cove adjacent to Bennelong Point. It was not successful and most agricultural activities moved to Parramatta. Governor Macquarie established the Royal Botanic Gardens at the site in 1816.
    Additional Titles

    Web title: Government House, Sydney and Cove Farm

    Primary title: Government House, Sydney and Cove Farm

    Related People

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.