Search the Collection
Advanced Search

View of Sydney in New South Wales (taken from Bell Mount)

Date: 1814
Dimensions:
Overall: 228 x 310 mm
Medium: Ink on paper
Credit Line: ANMM Collection
Classification:Art
Object Name: Engraving
Object No: 00000897
Place Manufactured:London

User Terms

    Description
    A view from Vaucluse of a small group of Indigenous people around a fire, which is juxtaposed against the permanent settlement of Sydney in the background.

    This engraving is based on the 1813 painting by Stephen Taylor titled 'Sydney from Bell Mount [Vaucluse]', which is in the collection of the State Library of NSW.
    SignificanceWith the arrival of the First Fleet in 1788 Sydney has continued to grow and develop into a vibrant city. This work documents the expansion of the town and the presence of the Indigenous population in the early 19th century.
    HistoryA European settlement at Sydney Cove was established by Governor Arthur Phillip when he arrived with the First Fleet on 26 January 1788. The cove was named in honour of the British Home Secretary, Thomas Townsend, Lord Sydney and chosen as the site of settlement over Botany Bay because it offered both fresh water and a secure place for ships to anchor.

    Phillip described Sydney Cove as having 'the best spring of water, and in which the ships can anchor so close to the shore that at a very small expense quays may be made at which the largest ships may unload'. He aimed to establish a flourishing colony not just a penal site and supported plans to build a structured orderly town plan.

    Early development in the cove consisted of basic housing and some public buildings. Convicts lived in timber huts and tents prior to the construction of the Hyde Park Barracks in 1819. A stone quarry was established where the male convicts worked and a number of farming plots were cultivated.

    Vaucluse is located on the southern headland into Port Jackson and the area was first utilised for the placement of navigational aids. In 1803, recently arrived convict Sir Henry Browne Hayes was given permission to buy the land from Thomas Laycock, who had be granted land in the area in 1793, and Robert Cardell who received land in 1795. The area derived its name from Vaucluse House, built by Hayes in 1805 and later bought and expanded by William Wentworth.
    Additional Titles

    Primary title: Port Jackson Harbour, in New South Wales: with a distant view of the Blue Mountains

    Web title: View of Sydney in New South Wales (taken from Bell Mount)

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.