Search the Collection
Advanced Search
Image Not Available

Collection of 184 documents relating to McIlwraith McEacharn Limited

Date: 1907 - 1936
Medium: Paper based material
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from McIlwraith McEacharn Limited
Classification:Ephemera
Object Name: Archive series
Object No: ANMS1013

User Terms

    Description
    This collection of 184 documents owned by McIlwraith McEacharn Limited Director R. E. Thomson Esq document its company history. The series consists of one boiler specification document; one record relating to Wallsend Slipway & Engineering Ltd; three books of correspondence sent by R. E. Thomson; two sets of notes relating to interior vessel specifications; one advice note; one brochure from Chernikeeff & Co. Ltd; 172 letters and three telegrams relating to ship specifications and plans, stone colliers, painting and equipment supplies, MV KANIMBLA and construction quotes. The documents span the period 1907 - 1936.
    SignificanceThis collection is significant in recording a comprehensive history of an Australian shipping company from the 1870s to the 1990s.
    HistoryThe shipping firm of McIlwraith, McEacharn & Co was founded in London in February 1875 by Andrew McIlwraith and Malcolm Donald McEacharn. McIlwraith, McEacharn & Co entered the Australian trade in 1887 bringing cargo and immigrants from Britain to Queensland. They also entered the coal trade. They entered into the fierce competition for passenger trade in the first decades of the twentieth century when competition for passengers required companies to provide more than converted cargo vessels. In 1909 their ship KAROOLA won a reputation for its salubrious accommodation and its size, and was the first Australian ship to exceed 7,000 tons. The company maintained the advantage in 1912 by commissioning KATOOMBA, which was larger and more luxurious than all its generation of passenger ships.

    With the growth of rail and road transport, Australian shipping declined during the twentieth century. McIlwraith, McEacharn & Co was a survivor and bought the fleets of James Paterson and Huddard Parker in 1961. In 1957 McIlwraith, McEacharn & Co together with Adelaide Steamship Company and Melbourne Steamship Company, set up Bulkships Pty Ltd to work the heavy ore trade and bought four ships. In 1964 it merged shipping interests with those of the Adelaide Steamship Company to form Associated Steamships. They had a combined fleet of 12 conventional cargo vessels, which they replaced with three container ships.

    McIlwraith McEacharn continued in the shipping trade until the 1990s when their ships were sold to a US company.
    Additional Titles

    Web title: Collection of 184 documents relating to McIlwraith McEacharn Limited

    Primary title: PAPER BASED MATERIAL DOCUMENTING LETTER BOOKS AND CORRESPONDENCE SENT & RECEIVED BY R. E. THOMSON (SUPERINTENDENT ENGINEER FOR MCILWRAITH MCEACHARN LTD), FROM THE COLLECTION OF McILWRAITH McEACHARN LIMITED

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.