Search the Collection
Advanced Search
Image Not Available

Collection of 381 documents relating to McIlwraith McEacharn Limited

Date: 1978 - 1979
Medium: Paper based material
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from McIlwraith McEacharn Limited
Classification:Ephemera
Object Name: Archive series
Object No: ANMS0915

User Terms

    Description
    These 381 documents were collected by J E Bounader, the secretary for McIlwraith McEacharn Limited and document the company history. The series consists of one invoice payment; one press release relating to McIlwraith McEacharn Limited shares; 317 letters and 62 memorandums relating to superannuation plans, Melbourne tug services, director's fees, financial issues, annual reports, sale of 'Scottish House' in Hobart, shares, insurance, lease arrangements, termination payments, board meetings and trade marks. The documents span the period 1978 - 1979.
    SignificanceThis collection is significant in recording a comprehensive history of an Australian shipping company from the 1870s to the 1990s.
    HistoryThe shipping firm of McIlwraith, McEacharn & Co was founded in London in February 1875 by Andrew McIlwraith and Malcolm Donald McEacharn. McIlwraith, McEacharn & Co entered the Australian trade in 1887 bringing cargo and immigrants from Britain to Queensland. They also entered the coal trade. They entered into the fierce competition for passenger trade in the first decades of the twentieth century when competition for passengers required companies to provide more than converted cargo vessels. In 1909 their ship KAROOLA won a reputation for its salubrious accommodation and its size, and was the first Australian ship to exceed 7,000 tons. The company maintained the advantage in 1912 by commissioning KATOOMBA, which was larger and more luxurious than all its generation of passenger ships.

    With the growth of rail and road transport, Australian shipping declined during the twentieth century. McIlwraith, McEacharn & Co was a survivor and bought the fleets of James Paterson and Huddard Parker in 1961. In 1957 McIlwraith, McEacharn & Co together with Adelaide Steamship Company and Melbourne Steamship Company, set up Bulkships Pty Ltd to work the heavy ore trade and bought four ships. In 1964 it merged shipping interests with those of the Adelaide Steamship Company to form Associated Steamships. They had a combined fleet of 12 conventional cargo vessels, which they replaced with three container ships.

    McIlwraith McEacharn continued in the shipping trade until the 1990s when their ships were sold to a US company.
    Additional Titles

    Web title: Collection of 381 documents relating to McIlwraith McEacharn Limited

    Primary title: PAPER BASED MATERIAL DATING FROM 1978 TO 1979 CONCERNING COPIES OF CORRESPONDENCE FROM J E BOUNADER (SECRETARY FOR McILWRAITH McEACHARN LIMITED) FROM THE COLLECTION OF McILWRAITH McEACHARN LIMITED

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.