Search the Collection
Advanced Search
Image Not Available

Collection of 29 documents detailing repairs for BP ENTERPRISE

Date: 1978 - 1979
Medium: Paper based material
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from McIlwraith McEacharn Limited
Classification:Ephemera
Object Name: Archive series
Object No: ANMS0923

User Terms

    Description
    These 29 documents from the McIlwraith McEacharn Limited collection detail repairs and work undertaken on the BP ENTERPRISE. The collection consists of three progress reports; six repair accounts; two maintenance forms; five letters relating to quotes and accounts; two sets of notes listing repairs; one telegram concerning a quote; one list of supplementary work sheets and nine progress claims and quotes for repairs. The documents span the period 1978 - 1979.
    SignificanceThis collection is significant in recording a comprehensive history of an Australian shipping company from the 1870s to the 1990s.
    HistoryThe shipping firm of McIlwraith, McEacharn & Co was founded in London in February 1875 by Andrew McIlwraith and Malcolm Donald McEacharn. McIlwraith, McEacharn & Co entered the Australian trade in 1887 bringing cargo and immigrants from Britain to Queensland. They also entered the coal trade. They entered into the fierce competition for passenger trade in the first decades of the twentieth century when competition for passengers required companies to provide more than converted cargo vessels. In 1909 their ship KAROOLA won a reputation for its salubrious accommodation and its size, and was the first Australian ship to exceed 7,000 tons. The company maintained the advantage in 1912 by commissioning KATOOMBA, which was larger and more luxurious than all its generation of passenger ships.

    With the growth of rail and road transport, Australian shipping declined during the twentieth century. McIlwraith, McEacharn & Co was a survivor and bought the fleets of James Paterson and Huddard Parker in 1961. In 1957 McIlwraith, McEacharn & Co together with Adelaide Steamship Company and Melbourne Steamship Company, set up Bulkships Pty Ltd to work the heavy ore trade and bought four ships. In 1964 it merged shipping interests with those of the Adelaide Steamship Company to form Associated Steamships. They had a combined fleet of 12 conventional cargo vessels, which they replaced with three container ships.

    McIlwraith McEacharn continued in the shipping trade until the 1990s when their ships were sold to a US company.
    Additional Titles

    Primary title: PAPER BASED MATERIAL DOCUMENTING QUOTES AND PROGRESS CLAIMS FOR THE "BP ENTERPRISE", FROM THE COLLECTION OF McILWRAITH McEACHARN LIMITED

    Web title: Collection of 29 documents detailing repairs for BP ENTERPRISE

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.