Search the Collection
Advanced Search
Image Not Available

Collection of 70 items relating to Wesley Arthur Stanley

Date: 1908 - 1959
Medium: Paper, silver gelatin print
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from Janice Webb
Classification:Ephemera
Object Name: Archive series
Object No: ANMS0848

User Terms

    Description
    This collection of 70 items documents the career of Wesley Arthur Stanley, a draughtsman at Cockatoo Island dockyard between 1908 and 1950s. The series consists of 13 photographs of a turbine and draughtsman's workshop; one Cockatoo Island Dockyard engraving; four sets of calculations for engine design; one permit to board ships; two Cockatoo Dockyard passes; one identification card; one exemption and two service certificates; one job sheet; one reunion dinner menu; two handwritten notes; one fitting list; four employment related letters and 36 working reference diagrams used by Stanley.
    HistoryCockatoo Island was first established as a penal settlement by the NSW colonial government in 1839. In 1851 the construction of a dockyard commenced and in 1857 the first ship was drydocked there. In 1913 Cockatoo Island was transferred to the Commonwealth Government and the dockyards evolved in pace with the technical development of ships.

    With the formation of the Royal Australian Navy (RAN) in 1911, Cockatoo Island Dockyards began to construct naval ships, the first being HMAS WARREGO. The period during and after the First World War was busy and profitable, with the peak of employment occurring in 1919. However, the Great Depression severely affected the shipyard and in 1933 the Commonwealth Government transferred control of the island to Cockatoo Docks & Engineering Company.

    In 1938 there were about 500 workers employed at the Cockatoo Island Dockyard, Sydney. By 1939, this figure had increased to over 2,000 - marking the start of World War II which became the dockyard's busiest period. This growth reflected the role that the dockyard played in refitting, building and repairing ships in preparation for and during World War II.

    In 1939, the dockyard busily prepared both naval and merchant ships for war. The destroyers HMA Ships VAMPIRE, VENDETTA, VOYAGER, WATERHEN and STUART were docked at Cockatoo Island for the year in preparation. Several of the Orient Line's vessels including ORANTO were converted to troopships. Other passenger ships were converted into hospital ships, including MANUNDA in 1940 and ORANJIE in 1941. The Cockatoo Dockyard became the main ship repair facility in the south-west Pacific between 1943 and 1943, and assisted Allies including the United States.

    After the Second World War, Cockatoo Island Dockyards continued to be an important part of the Australian maritime infrastructure, but the controlling company changed hands many times until in 1992 when the Dockyards were decommissioned.

    Today, the Sydney Harbour Federation Trust has administrative control of Cockatoo Island it is used as a venue for many arts and entertainment events.
    Additional Titles

    Web title: Collection of 70 items relating to Wesley Arthur Stanley

    Primary title: COLLECTION OF PHOTOGRAPHS, NOTEBOOKS, CERTIFICATES, PLANS, PERMITS AND RELATED PAPER BASED MATERIAL THAT DOCUMENT THE CAREER OF WESLEY ARTHUR STANLEY WHO WAS A DRAUGHTSMAN AT COCKATOO ISLAND DOCKYARD

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.