Search the Collection
Advanced Search

The Cunard Line's AQUITANIA acting as hospital ship in WWI

Date: 1915 - 1916
Dimensions:
Overall: 86 x 136 mm
Medium: Photograph
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Transfer from the Australian War Memorial
Classification:Photographs
Object Name: Photograph
Object No: ANMS0047[686]

User Terms

    HistoryAQUITANIA. 45,647 tonnes. Owned by Cunard Line (1914 - 1934) then Curnard White Star line (1934 - 1950). Built in 1914 by John Brown & Co. Clyde Bank. WWI used as a troop and hospital ship. 1919 converted to oil firing by Armstrong Whitworth. 1950, broken up at Faslane.

    WWI service. 1914 converted into an armed merchant cruiser but was found unsuitable. In the spring of 1915 it was converted into a troopship and made voyages to the Dardanelles for the Gallipoli campaign. The AQUITANIA was then was converted into a hospital ship, and acted in that role in during the Dardanelles campaign. In 1916 it returned to carrying troops till 1918.

    WWII service. In 1940 the AQUITANIA sailed to Sydney to act as troopship. In November 1941 it was in Singapore painted in battleship grey. The AQUITANIA picked up the German survivors of the battle between HMAS SYDNEY and the KORMORAN.

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.