Search the Collection
Advanced Search
Image Not Available

Collection of 75 documents relating to the sale of WALUMBA

Date: 1975 - 1976
Medium: Paper
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from McIlwraith McEacharn Limited
Classification:Ephemera
Object Name: Archive series
Object No: ANMS0741

User Terms

    Description
    These 75 documents from the McIlwraith McEacharn Limited collection documents the sale and transfer of the WALUMBA. The series consists of one damage report; two sales agreements; two testimonials; one safety equipment survey; one payment document and one bank receipt; two equipment store documents; one set of terms and conditions for sale; one delivery arrangement document; one addendum to an agreement; 22 letters, 11 notes and 29 telegrams relating to a purchase offer, sale agreement, cost estimates, payment, name change, insurance and disposal of WALUMBA. The documents span the period 1975 - 1976.
    SignificanceThis collection is significant in recording a comprehensive history of an Australian shipping company from the 1870s to the 1990s.
    HistoryThe shipping firm of McIlwraith, McEacharn & Co was founded in London in February 1875 by Andrew McIlwraith and Malcolm Donald McEacharn. McIlwraith, McEacharn & Co entered the Australian trade in 1887 bringing cargo and immigrants from Britain to Queensland. They also entered the coal trade. They entered into the fierce competition for passenger trade in the first decades of the twentieth century when competition for passengers required companies to provide more than converted cargo vessels. In 1909 their ship KAROOLA won a reputation for its salubrious accommodation and its size, and was the first Australian ship to exceed 7,000 tons. The company maintained the advantage in 1912 by commissioning KATOOMBA, which was larger and more luxurious than all its generation of passenger ships.

    With the growth of rail and road transport, Australian shipping declined during the twentieth century. McIlwraith, McEacharn & Co was a survivor and bought the fleets of James Paterson and Huddard Parker in 1961. In 1957 McIlwraith, McEacharn & Co together with Adelaide Steamship Company and Melbourne Steamship Company, set up Bulkships Pty Ltd to work the heavy ore trade and bought four ships. In 1964 it merged shipping interests with those of the Adelaide Steamship Company to form Associated Steamships. They had a combined fleet of 12 conventional cargo vessels, which they replaced with three container ships.

    McIlwraith McEacharn continued in the shipping trade until the 1990s when their ships were sold to a US company.
    Additional Titles

    Primary title: MATERIAL DOCUMENTING THE SALE AND TRANSFER OF THE "WALUMBA", FROM THE COLLECTION OF MCILWRAITH MCEACHARN

    Web title: Collection of 75 documents relating to the sale of WALUMBA

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.