Search the Collection
Advanced Search
Image Not Available

Collection of 29 documents relating to the KOOMILYA

Date: 1960 - 1961
Medium: Paper
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from McIlwraith McEacharn Limited
Classification:Ephemera
Object Name: Archive series
Object No: ANMS0748

User Terms

    Description
    These 29 documents from the McIlwraith McEacharn Limited document the acquisition of the KOOMILYA (ex CORAMBA). The series consists of one capacity plan for MV CORAMBA; two newspaper clippings outlining a name change for CORAMBA; one bill of sale; one set of ownership declaration forms; one application form for a ship radio licence; one handwritten note; 16 letters relating to memorandums of agreement, sale, delivery, charter arrangements, payments and name changes for CORAMABA; four telegrams relating to delivery and the sale of the vessel and one account of items onboard CORAMBA. The documents span the period 1960 - 1961.
    SignificanceThis collection is significant in recording a comprehensive history of an Australian shipping company from the 1870s to the 1990s.
    HistoryThe shipping firm of McIlwraith, McEacharn & Co was founded in London in February 1875 by Andrew McIlwraith and Malcolm Donald McEacharn. McIlwraith, McEacharn & Co entered the Australian trade in 1887 bringing cargo and immigrants from Britain to Queensland. They also entered the coal trade. They entered into the fierce competition for passenger trade in the first decades of the twentieth century when competition for passengers required companies to provide more than converted cargo vessels. In 1909 their ship KAROOLA won a reputation for its salubrious accommodation and its size, and was the first Australian ship to exceed 7,000 tons. The company maintained the advantage in 1912 by commissioning KATOOMBA, which was larger and more luxurious than all its generation of passenger ships.

    With the growth of rail and road transport, Australian shipping declined during the twentieth century. McIlwraith, McEacharn & Co was a survivor and bought the fleets of James Paterson and Huddard Parker in 1961. In 1957 McIlwraith, McEacharn & Co together with Adelaide Steamship Company and Melbourne Steamship Company, set up Bulkships Pty Ltd to work the heavy ore trade and bought four ships. In 1964 it merged shipping interests with those of the Adelaide Steamship Company to form Associated Steamships. They had a combined fleet of 12 conventional cargo vessels, which they replaced with three container ships.

    McIlwraith McEacharn continued in the shipping trade until the 1990s when their ships were sold to a US company.
    Additional Titles

    Web title: Collection of 29 documents relating to the KOOMILYA

    Primary title: MATERIAL DOCUMENTING THE ACQUISITION OF THE "KOOMILYA" (EX-"CORAMBA"), FROM THE COLLECTION OF MCILWRAITH MCEACHARN

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.