Search the Collection
Advanced Search
Image Not Available

Collection of 311 documents relating to McIlwraith McEacharn Limited

Date: 1918 - 1935
Medium: Paper
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from McIlwraith McEacharn Limited
Classification:Ephemera
Object Name: Archive series
Object No: ANMS0687

User Terms

    Description
    These 311 documents relate to the 'Scottish House', McIlwraith McEacharn Limited's office in Newcastle. The series consists of five agreements; 11 building cost documents; two sale contracts and three sale documents; 14 progress payment documents; five building plans; six building construction photographs; two receipts; six financial records; three information folders; one insurance document; one report, two notes and seven documents relating to fixtures, maintenance and alterations of Scottish House; four envelopes, 227 letters, two memorandums and 10 telegrams relating to building estimates, insurance matters, valuation, construction, leasing, maintenance and sale of Scottish House. The documents span the period 1918 - 1935.
    SignificanceThis collection is significant in recording a comprehensive history of an Australian shipping company from the 1870s to the 1990s.
    HistoryThe shipping firm of McIlwraith, McEacharn & Co was founded in London in February 1875 by Andrew McIlwraith and Malcolm Donald McEacharn. McIlwraith, McEacharn & Co entered the Australian trade in 1887 bringing cargo and immigrants from Britain to Queensland. They also entered the coal trade. They entered into the fierce competition for passenger trade in the first decades of the twentieth century when competition for passengers required companies to provide more than converted cargo vessels. In 1909 their ship KAROOLA won a reputation for its salubrious accommodation and its size, and was the first Australian ship to exceed 7,000 tons. The company maintained the advantage in 1912 by commissioning KATOOMBA, which was larger and more luxurious than all its generation of passenger ships.

    With the growth of rail and road transport, Australian shipping declined during the twentieth century. McIlwraith, McEacharn & Co was a survivor and bought the fleets of James Paterson and Huddard Parker in 1961. In 1957 McIlwraith, McEacharn & Co together with Adelaide Steamship Company and Melbourne Steamship Company, set up Bulkships Pty Ltd to work the heavy ore trade and bought four ships. In 1964 it merged shipping interests with those of the Adelaide Steamship Company to form Associated Steamships. They had a combined fleet of 12 conventional cargo vessels, which they replaced with three container ships.

    McIlwraith McEacharn continued in the shipping trade until the 1990s when their ships were sold to a US company.
    Additional Titles

    Primary title: MATERIAL CONCERNING THE CONSTRUCTION, LEASING, MAINTENANCE AND SALE OF SCOTTISH HOUSE IN NEWCASTLE, FROM THE COLLECTION OF MCILWRAITH MCEACHARN

    Web title: Collection of 311 documents relating to McIlwraith McEacharn Limited

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.