Search the Collection
Advanced Search
Image Not Available

Collection of 57 documents relating to the Orient Steam Navigation Company

Date: c 1878 - 1910
Medium: Paper
Credit Line: ANMM Collection
Classification:Ephemera
Object Name: Archive series
Object No: ANMS0567

User Terms

    Description
    This collection of 57 documents relates to the joint management of the Orient Steam Navigation Company Limited by Anderson, Anderson and Company and F. Green and company. The collection consists of two Agreements for the establishment of an agency at Plymouth; 12 draft Agreements for formation of the company and management; four draft declarations regarding company structure; one form, two handwritten notes, two booklets, 12 letters and four memorandums relating to Management Agreements; one Extraordinary General Meeting notice; one set of draft articles of association and agreement and 16 Management Agreements for the period 1880, 1887 and 1900. The documents span the period c 1878 - 1910.
    HistoryThe Orient Steam Navigation Company, also known as the Orient Line, began as a British ship broking company founded by James Thompson in 1797. The company was joined by James Anderson in 1828, and his nephew in 1854, and operated sailing routes around the world under the name of Anderson, Anderson and Co. In 1878, the company bought a fleet of steam ships and formed the Orient Steam Navigation Company (shortened to the Orient Line). In 1879 the ORIENT, a ship purpose-built for the company, entered service on the Australia route.

    By the turn of the century, the Orient Line had a close association with the Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company, with the two companies sharing the lucrative Australian Government mail contract. This was a time of rapid expansion for the Orient Line, with five 12,000 tonne ships - ORSOVA, OTWAY, OSTERLEY, OTRANTO and ORVIETO - entering the fleet in 1909.

    After World War I, the Orient Line sought to replenish its tonnage and commissioned the construction of five sleek new turbine-driven ships: ORAMA, ORONSAY, OTRANTO, ORFORD and ORONTES, completed between 1924 and 1929. The magnificent 20,000 tonners were designed to carry more than 1,200 migrants in modest third class accommodation and nearly 600 first class passengers in opulent surroundings. By the mid-1930s the third class capacity on these ships was reduced and renamed tourist class. In 1935, the ORION was launched, and its corn-coloured hull went on to become the Line's signature colour.

    In the 1950s three new ships, ORONSAY, ORCADES and ORSOVA, were built to replace vessels lost during World War II. With competition from air travel, the Line's ships were increasingly diverted to cruising. ORIANA was the last ship ordered for the Orient Line and the last one to fly the Orient Line flag. The Orient Line was eventually absorbed into the P&O Line in 1966.
    Additional Titles

    Primary title: MANAGERSHIP AGREEMENTS AND CORRESPONDENCE RELATING TO THE JOINT MANAGERSHIP OF THE ORIENT NAVIGATION COMPANY BY MESSRS ANDERSON AND F. GREEN AND COMPANY

    Web title: Collection of 57 documents relating to the Orient Steam Navigation Company

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.